Re: oh NO!

I had a toy something like that when I was a kid in the '60's.

The Wham-O Air Blaster shown with the King Kong target...

Scroll down a bit at this link...

-Scott

> just add pinto beans > > -- > Tater > President of MARS Club >
> KC9ESF > NAR #79654 L1 > AMA #747769 > EAA #703312 > remove spam spelled backwards to reply > > >

Scott Sager

oh man! I got TWO of these things! Gave one to my son for college.

they are a blast! (no pun >

Jim Flis

snip

There were tons of things like this back in the 60's when you could still be a kid and didn't need a lawyer to have a decent toy. By today's standards every fun toy I ever had should have maimed or killed me.

There were things that fired different projectiles, air, smoke, burned things, Man From Uncle guns that broke down into 4 or 5 smaller guns etc. My favorite was a Mattel Vac U Form that I made dozens of small toys with. There was a similar machine called a "goo maker" or something or other that I made very flexible army men and monsters from with little bendable wires for arms and legs.

The all time best was a Mattel bazooka like gun called a Sonic Blaster that you pumped air into a chamber and when released, cleared birds from the trees, made dogs bark for blocks around and after a dozen or so blasts it sent your grandmother looking for a switch. Especially if you set it off in the house! It was rated at 100 decibels. Man could it wake up the neighborhood at 1:00 am!

I miss the good old days... the best part was that I think my dad enjoyed them more than I did. He started his second childhood about the age of 40 and used me as an excuse. : )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Oh yes, The Vacu-Form!

Man I loved that thing,

whenever I smell hot pvc it brings me right back-

I've been watching on ebay, but it's hard to find the original with a good supply of the blanks.

Another one, I remember younger was a rifle like a 30-30, you slid the cartridges in the side, and the spring loaded bullets shot out the barrel and the lever ejected the shells out- man alive!

The cool has definitely been compromised.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce OBrien

Funny thing is, I just picked up a Vacu-form from a friend that had two of them. I'm looking forward to having lots of fun with them. The Vacu-form looks like a good thing to make nose cones with.

John Hornsby

Reply to
a.hornsbyiii

Sounds like the Mattel 'Winchester Saddle Gun' I had when I was a kid. Nothing went out the barrel, though. You put those Greenie Stickum Caps on the cartridges (where the primer would normally be) and you could fire the caps and eject the shells, but the 'bullet' tip never came off or anything.

See

for a photo.

Definitely a cool toy. Mine eventually broke and got tossed, but I did get several years of fun out of it! I later bought a Model 94.

BTW, these old Mattel toys sell for more than a new Winchester Model 94 does now!

Reply to
Anonymous

There was also a six shot revolver that used the same bullets. Furthermore, you could stick the "Greenie" stickum caps on them to get a realistic bang when you discharged one. IIRC, all were made by Mattel.

-- Best regards, Mark Daughtry, SR Ignorance is bliss unless you are surrounded by it. Ignorance is like bad breath: You usually don't know you have it. NAR 71556 SR L1 MSRS Vice-President NAR Section #550 MSRS #0035 SR

Reply to
M.Daughtry

Furthermore,

realistic bang

There was one in England, like a miniature flintlock pistol that you placed a cap on the side and was struck by the hammer so as the hot gasses passed into the chamber firing a plastic pellet. But if you inserted a small amount of black powder or even more toy caps with the paper carefully torn away and then a BB the effect was devastating and potentially lethal.

MikeB

Reply to
MikeB

I had something like that. ISTR the maker had 4-6 different models of rifles, all with cartridges and springloaded bullets. Very realisitic.

IIRC, they were taken off the market because too many kids were getting injured by the projectiles.

I wanna say there were other accessories with the rifle - things like grenade launchers - but it's been a long time.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Yeah, that was a slightly later model...a few inches shorter, not quite as detailed. It used "Shootin' Shells", or something like that.

Reply to
Anonymous

Yep! Had one of the rifles and the pistol. Way cool toys. The bullets were grey plastic, the casings may have been brass. About the size of a .22, if memory serves. Loved those green caps!

Remember the muzzle loading pistols and rifles that shot cork balls and used the green caps? Those were the best! My brother and I had more wars in our little back yard, and we're both still alive today.

I saw one of the rifles in an antique mall a year or so ago, way overpriced. But it sure brought back the memories.....

Bob Wiersbe

M.Daughtry wrote:

Reply to
Robert E. Wiersbe

you mean this

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

What I remember was a LOT bigger than .22. But then I was a LOT smaller back then.

Bob Kaplow

The ones I had were probably .22 diameter bullets, but with a shell case more like an M16 round - about .30.

Looking around on the web yesterday, I came across "Johnny Eagle" brand toy rifles. I think these were what we're talking about. I saw about 5 or 6 different models which is consistent with what I remember.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams