Re: Paper composite fins?

Once this job I'm on with the union ends I'll be starting on that

> Klingon cruiser upscale (and thanks all who helped me find the info > and such!). I've done one composite fin project using 1/4" foam > covered in 1/32" plywood and was thinking that it might be a plausable > way to construct the parts for the upscale if the skin was a more > flexible material such as paper. The basic idea is to use epoxy > impregnated paper over a foam core. Given that paper can be quite > tough under the right conditions it should provide the needed strength > and form fitting properties I'd like to have. Has this ever been > tried?

I'd think standard fiberglass would be a better choice than paper with epoxy resin.

BTW, this should be in RMR instead of ABMR, so I've linked the thread to that newsgroup. Responses should be to RMR only.

Bob Kaplow

I've seen foam core, with carbon fiber skins. It shredded at mach 1 when air got between the laminates.

Mike Fisher

Reply to
Mfreptiles