Rocketry Planet servers....

Maybe it's just me, but every time I try to go to Rocketryplanet.com (both from work and at home) it takes forever to try to get onto the site. Usually, after waiting a minute or so, I give up and don't bother trying. Does anybody else have this problem. I really enjoy places like TRF, rocketryonline, etc. And I am of the understanding that Rocketryplanet is also an excellent resource, if only I could get to it. I'm located in Northeast Ohio, in case that might be an issue....

Alan

Reply to
Alan Tuskes

Alan,

Is this a new problem? Ever since they added the snap stuff, it takes forever to load for me as well (2+ minutes) I am not on a slow link (45MB/s...yes, bytes) so I know its not on my end.

-Aar> Maybe it's just me, but every time I try to go to Rocketryplanet.com (both

Reply to
Aaron

I sent Alan some information in a private email, but a good place to look is at:

You can find a number of locations from around the country to check the routing to a particular site. You would want to use the Rocketry Planet IP address of 216.130.248.52 instead of your own IP address to check the route to the site.

Also, this comes from one of the traceroute sites:

Note: Always install TCP Optimizer

if you are on a broadband connection. With ever increasing connection speeds, it is important that you understand how your TCP Receive Window (RWIN) size and ping times affect your download speeds. If you are getting slow speeds, it could be that your RWIN is set too low for the ping times of the site you are downloading from.

Visit the Speedguide's TCP Analyzer

to get your current RWIN. Then use their Bandwidth*Delay calculator
to determine if your RWIN is set high enough (you can find your ping time by looking for the last non-zero value in the AVG column in the chart below). If it is not, use TCP Optimizer to up the value. Remember to reboot after using TCP Optimizer. If you are using a non-windows OS, you should be able to find some HOW-TO's on increasing your RWIN.

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

Well that's not good. I would be willing to disable Snap to test if you will drop me an email with your availability.

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

It just took about 5 seconds to load for me on a DSL line. It has been quite a while since I visited.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Reply to
Anthony Cesaroni

RP loads fine on my PC - no problems. I have a 1.5 megabit DSL connection. What is your connection speed? Is it just RP or is any site loading slow? Are you loaded down with spyware and webbugs?

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Same thing as in can't connect?

I see LOTS of congestion and timeouts going through Level 3 in Washington, DC. Yes, from Florida to DC before heading to Texas.

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

You're not the first one that has accused Darrell of being slow. 8-)

Reply to
Phil Stein

My speed is fine and the Snap is a nice addition.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

Neglected to mention that I have 10 downloads running too. They are running between 30KB/Sec and 283KB/Sec. all add up to 920KB/Sec. I'm use Comcast.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

Wow!

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

RP has always been really slow for me, and now, it's not usable at all. (minutes to get the first page loaded)

I'm running over DSL, and there is not a consistent speed issue with with any other site. It's actually faster with Netscape 7.1 than IE 7 for me (by a large factor).

In reality websites still need to be "dialup friendly" and not require a high speed connection, if they are looking at a broad user base. Too many folks add stuff that's only usable for high speed connections, but looks pretty..

I know the problem is not on my end. Is it my routing to RP or the servers themselves at RP, or the pages at RP? Not my problem to sort out...

Pretty is nice, but we all know pretty rockets crash, and it seems that pretty websites also can't be accessed......

Phil Ste> My speed is fine and the Snap is a nice addition.

Reply to
AZ Woody

I just pulled up the main page in about 5 seconds. Butler county, OH, suburbs of Cincinnati.

Reply to
Pete Pemberton

Just check some logs on my machine (XP pro, IE 7, McAfee). Seems the HTLM/Javascript at RP isn't that "clean", and errors are logged when I hit the pages.. "Page done (with errors)" shows on the status line of IE 7.

Pete Pembert>

Reply to
AZ Woody

I use XP Home, IE7 and McAfee. IE7 isn't unintelligent, the next time you see "Page done (with errors)", click the icon with the yellow exclamation mark, copy the errors and post them. No other user has stated they get errors nor have I. I want to help, but I can't duplicate your error.

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

Just checked and RP loaded on my machine in about 2 secs... I'm on cable with Time Warner (formerly Adlephia).

As far as dial up... I suppose we should still have TV programming in B&W, use 78 laquer records, use 620 Brownie box cameras, and maybe still live in caves? I don't know... I find it amusing that someone in a hobby that can be resonably expensive is (presumably) complaining about the cost of a broadband connection.

DSC

Reply to
stealthboogie

Running XP Pro sp2, FF 1.5.0.8, AVG 7.5 with 1.5 dsl and having zero troubles with errors/speed. Tomorrow I'll test it out with my SUSE box.

Bet my bottom dollar it's IE7 issue.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

I'm runing XP Pro, IE7 with McAfee and PR works fine.

DSC

Reply to
stealthboogie

Sorry, but XP home is not the same as XP pro (I'd think you knew that!) BTW, I had the same problem with W2k.

Seems you need to do a bit more testing.. As I now know I'm not the only one with really poor performance with "the pretty site", I'll just look elsewhere. The ball is in your court to make it work. Hey, ROL is displayed at a normal speed for me, so you might want to get some hints from them! :o

Drop the 3d garbage as a start - prior to that it was only a minute or so to load the first page.. Not good, but it could be tolerated!

Why didn't people complain on your site? It's simple! We couldn't get there!

You got to get some "friendly" folks to help you fix your problems (and yes, you do have problems!).. Until then, I'll hit other sites... I'm not your beta tester.....

I hope you don't build birds like you do websites........

Reply to
AZ Woody