Rocketry Planet servers....

Maybe it's just me, but every time I try to go to Rocketryplanet.com (both from work and at home) it takes forever to try to get onto the site.
Usually, after waiting a minute or so, I give up and don't bother trying. Does anybody else have this problem. I really enjoy places like TRF, rocketryonline, etc. And I am of the understanding that Rocketryplanet is also an excellent resource, if only I could get to it. I'm located in Northeast Ohio, in case that might be an issue....
Alan
--

Alan Tuskes

Alternative Realities - Motion Picture Special Effects
Alan,
Is this a new problem? Ever since they added the snap stuff, it takes forever to load for me as well (2+ minutes) I am not on a slow link (45MB/s...yes, bytes) so I know its not on my end.
-Aaron
Alan Tuskes wrote:

Aaron wrote:

Well that's not good. I would be willing to disable Snap to test if you will drop me an email with your availability.
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the

It just took about 5 seconds to load for me on a DSL line. It has been quite a while since I visited.
Brian Elfert
Aaron wrote:

Just gave the place a try.....58 seconds to hook in, but once I was in 4- seconds to go from homepage to forums......verizon, north of Philly
Chuck
The RP folks really need to sort this out or find a new ISP. If the L3 routers are braindead 20% of the time (lost packets), maybe they need to find a new ISP.
I think it's clear that the response times (posting the home page) at RP is bad for many, all over the country, and if the RP folks cant resolve it ON THEIR OWN, it's time that that RP moves to a better ISP...
Ted.. email Woodrow if you don't understand. The website has a problem with their ISP, and that's their problem! The fact that I'm getting javascript problems on the site, is also THEIR problem. The fact that the the RP folks are making excuses and adding "pretty features" at this time is also THEIR PROBLEM.
Chuck Rudy wrote:

AZ Woody wrote:

Who else is getting javascript errors? Near as I can tell, your the only one who's mentioned it.
If RP's isp was the sole culprit for the speed issues how come the rest of us who are *not* having speed troubles and are *not* getting javascript errors able to access RP perfectly fine?
One individual located in Georgia who has have experienced speed problems but also has accessed RP perfectly fine at a later time.
This is all RP and their isp's fault, that's what your telling us right? It's all their fault and this has *nothing* to do with other routes that happen to navigate to and from RP, right? This is what your telling me, Darrell, and whoever else that does this networking thing for a living, right?
And why do you get so damned pissy? Lighten up Francis...
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

How many others are running IE 7.0?

All I know, is that it's not a problem on my end. RP is the ONLY site I'm having problems with

RP has been a "dog" for a long time for me, while no other site has been. Have you actually read this forum, or are you sticking up for a friend? Seems there are many that have speed issues with the site. It's not just one person in Georgia. Email Woodrow for details.

BTW, I do this stuff for a living. Do you? You're blowing smoke from your butt, ted.. Email woodrow for details...

Simple.. it's because clueless folks like you think they understand stuff about the interworkings of the internet.. And you don't - email Woodrow for details....

AZ Woody wrote:

'T-10 to the meltdown...'
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
RP does not use Level3 as an ISP. If they did, they could complain to Level3 and have the issue fixed. Changing the ISP that RP does use will have almost no effect on this at all. Level3 is a major backbone provider (similar to uunet, sprint, at&t, etc) To get from a PC in a home to RP's servers in Texas, most people have to route through about 10 to 15 hops. You have no control over those hops with the exception of the start (you) and the end (the site you're trying to get to) The issue with accessing RP seems to stem from one Level3 router in Chicago. If your ISP routes (peers) to another ISP that routes to Level3 through Chicago, then you're going to have the problem. If someone else's doesn't go through the router in Chicago, then they'll see no problems at all.
This is in no way a problem on RP's end. The software that was added has zero to do with it. Darrell and I exchanged emails over most of Friday attempting to find exactly where the issue lies and why. It was determined that the exact same access problem that RP was seeing was seen by other servers running dissimilar software (including only static html) in the same datacenter. If you can prove that it is something other than a Level3 router in Chciago, I would be interested in seeing that. (They're also having an issue with a router in Denver, but thats not the main problem)
And yes, I do this for a living. I'm a system admin for over 450 servers (Windows, Linux, AIX, Solaris, HP-UX) a 100TB SAN and over 50,000 users at a Fortune 100 company. I sit on dual fractional OC-192s running 360Mb/s each.
-Aaron
AZ Woody wrote:

Aaron wrote:

*hands Aaron a cigar*
No cigar for woodrow!
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
the notorious t-e-d wrote:

How about a psych referral?
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 23:20:03 -0600, the notorious t-e-d
Everyone - that's a "feature" of Java -screw up every computer in existence with one set of code.
Phil
Phil Stein wrote:

But Phil, Java and Javascript are not the same thing.
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
AZ Woody wrote:

Since you must not know who Level3 is, perhaps you would like to read up on them (http://www.level3.com /). Not using Level3 is like saying you are going to drive from Arizona to New York but you're not going to get on the interstate.
I thank you for your input, but I won't be responding to you any longer about the issue.
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
Alan Tuskes wrote:

I sent Alan some information in a private email, but a good place to look is at: http://www.traceroute.org/#USA
You can find a number of locations from around the country to check the routing to a particular site. You would want to use the Rocketry Planet IP address of 216.130.248.52 instead of your own IP address to check the route to the site.
Also, this comes from one of the traceroute sites:
Note: Always install TCP Optimizer (http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php ) if you are on a broadband connection. With ever increasing connection speeds, it is important that you understand how your TCP Receive Window (RWIN) size and ping times affect your download speeds. If you are getting slow speeds, it could be that your RWIN is set too low for the ping times of the site you are downloading from.
Visit the Speedguide's TCP Analyzer (http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php ) to get your current RWIN. Then use their Bandwidth*Delay calculator (http://www.speedguide.net/bdp.php ) to determine if your RWIN is set high enough (you can find your ping time by looking for the last non-zero value in the AVG column in the chart below). If it is not, use TCP Optimizer to up the value. Remember to reboot after using TCP Optimizer. If you are using a non-windows OS, you should be able to find some HOW-TO's on increasing your RWIN.
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
Big pipe in our Sarasota shop and I'm seeing the same thing.
Anthony J. Cesaroni President/CEO Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace http://www.cesaronitech.com / (941) 360-3100 x101 Sarasota (905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto

Anthony Cesaroni wrote:

Same thing as in can't connect?
I see LOTS of congestion and timeouts going through Level 3 in Washington, DC. Yes, from Florida to DC before heading to Texas.
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
My speed is fine and the Snap is a nice addition.
Phil
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:48:20 -0500, "Darrell D. Mobley"

Neglected to mention that I have 10 downloads running too. They are running between 30KB/Sec and 283KB/Sec. all add up to 920KB/Sec. I'm use Comcast.
Phil
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 20:15:06 -0500, Phil Stein