Rocketry Planet servers....

Phil Stein wrote:

Wow!
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
RP has always been really slow for me, and now, it's not usable at all. (minutes to get the first page loaded)
I'm running over DSL, and there is not a consistent speed issue with with any other site. It's actually faster with Netscape 7.1 than IE 7 for me (by a large factor).
In reality <soapbox on> websites still need to be "dialup friendly" and not require a high speed connection, if they are looking at a broad user base. Too many folks add stuff that's only usable for high speed connections, but looks pretty.. <soapbox off>
I know the problem is not on my end. Is it my routing to RP or the servers themselves at RP, or the pages at RP? Not my problem to sort out...
Pretty is nice, but we all know pretty rockets crash, and it seems that pretty websites also can't be accessed......
Phil Stein wrote:

Just checked and RP loaded on my machine in about 2 secs... I'm on cable with Time Warner (formerly Adlephia).
As far as dial up... I suppose we should still have TV programming in B&W, use 78 laquer records, use 620 Brownie box cameras, and maybe still live in caves? I don't know... I find it amusing that someone in a hobby that can be resonably expensive is (presumably) complaining about the cost of a broadband connection.
DSC
You son, are a twit. It's not what mommy and daddy can pay for your Internet connection, but also what's available. There are still folks that can't get anything other than dialup where they live...
Now go for a drive in the car that mommy and daddy paid for, and learn about people that in a small town. Let me guess - you live in a big city....
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Or not http://www.hughesnet.com /
--

PP
--------------------------------------

Well, not everyone can get inexpensive broadband and some probably choose not to spend $40 a month or more on cable Internet. To some people, that extra $30 a month over dialup can be the difference between flying rockets or not.
Yes, pretty much anyone should be able to get sattelite Internet, but at $60 to $70 a month it is not inexpensive.
Brian Elfert
RP loads fine on my PC - no problems. I have a 1.5 megabit DSL connection. What is your connection speed? Is it just RP or is any site loading slow? Are you loaded down with spyware and webbugs?

I'm having the same problem Alan is. I'm running the same DSL speed, and each page is taking two to three minutes to load. IE7, FF1.5.0.8, Opera 8. Doesn't matter. Tracert shows nothing out of the ordinary. This is happening only with RP.
I doubt it would be Snap, since as I understand it, it is using AJAX technology and shouldn't be interfering with the initial page loading.

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:58:54 GMT, "Alan Tuskes"

You're not the first one that has accused Darrell of being slow. 8-)

I just pulled up the main page in about 5 seconds. Butler county, OH, suburbs of Cincinnati.
--

PP
--------------------------------------
Pete Pemberton wrote:

AZ Woody wrote:

I use XP Home, IE7 and McAfee. IE7 isn't unintelligent, the next time you see "Page done (with errors)", click the icon with the yellow exclamation mark, copy the errors and post them. No other user has stated they get errors nor have I. I want to help, but I can't duplicate your error.
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
Darrell D. Mobley wrote:

Running XP Pro sp2, FF 1.5.0.8, AVG 7.5 with 1.5 dsl and having zero troubles with errors/speed. Tomorrow I'll test it out with my SUSE box.
Bet my bottom dollar it's IE7 issue.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
the notorious t-e-d wrote:

I'm runing XP Pro, IE7 with McAfee and PR works fine.
DSC
Nope. On my system it happens on Firefox 1.5.0.8 and Opera 8 as well.
Roy nar12605

Roy Green wrote:

Then it has to be routing. But don't tell Woody that.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
tdstr wrote:

I'm trying to be as hush-hush about it as I can.
;-)
Roy nar12605
(from work, where the problem is not as bad, but RP is still taking 45 secs to a minute)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Roy,
Whereabouts are you located? This would help in troubleshooting. I'm in MN and no one I know up here has had any speed issues.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
Alpharetta/Johns Creek, GA (far north suburbs of Atlanta)
home is Earthlink, 66.32.x.x work is unknown (tracert is blocked since I think it uses ping msgs). 72.16.x.x
Roy nar12605
tdstr wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Roy, if you do a trace route from home to 216.130.248.52, you may find that you are routing through Level 3's network, and probably bouncing to Washington, DC before heading west to Dallas. Level 3 has been reporting about 20% packet loss and often impenetrable in the Washington, DC area.