"Rockets" magazine has started accepting subscriptions

service up and running.
--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L3
seems a bit pricey

I never heard of them before. Are they new? How many issues have been published?
Hi Darren: Yes, "Rockets" magazine is brand new. Theirs was the winning proposal to provide a magazine for Tripoli. The announcement from the TRA BOD is at http://www.tripoli.org/misc/magazine.shtml     Best wishes,     Will
Darren J Longhorn wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L3

Cool.
I'm a little taken aback by the fact that they not only can't spell "November" on the main page of their website, but by the fact that the 'sample download issue' says that it is "January/February 2005", while clearly reflecting events from late 2005 and upcoming events for 2006.
I view the first as a minor 'nit'. I view the fact that every page has the wrong date on it as a major 'nit'. Unfortunately, this does not reflect well (IMHO) on the editorial ability of those putting the magazine together, and I speak as the former editor of a computer journal (about twenty years ago).
David Erbas-White
Darren J Longhorn wrote:

Hi David: They're big players in http://www.mdrocketry.org/ as well. You could look at their newsletters to see if you spot a long term trend that might influence your decision to buy the magazine. I've already subscribed for a year to see how they do...     Best wishes,     Will
David Erbas-White wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L3
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:24:34 -0800, David Erbas-White

I fly with the guys Neil and Bob. THey are real frequent flyers. THat might be a first in rocketry magazine publishing. Also, they will get the job done - not sit on their asses whining about people not sending stuff.
Oh and I'm sure that they (like me) will insert typos to keep the anal retentive readers happy. Maybe you can keep score and see if ER or Rockets get the best "grade.";-)
Phil
You said Neil and Bob. ;-0
--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2
Philip Stein wrote:

I'm hoping you're correct, and still plan on subscribing.
I don't (in general) consider myself "anal retentitive" for most things, but because of the background of the previous magazine, there is (naturally) going to be more scrutiny when the new one first appears. My background in editing both a journal and technical papers makes me 'see' these types of things more readily (because I've 'learned' to look for them automatically), but I don't generally comment on them because I understand that mistakes happen. However, I get upset with blatant errors (such as the road sign on the I-5 northbound out of LA that proclaims in foot-high letters that vehicles with more than 4 "AXELS" must exit, or during the LA Olympics when all of LAX had stenciled on the walls where the "extinguisers" were located), or when folks are putting forth a "new, improved" something or other, and the first thing that catches my eye are the errors.
David Erbas-White
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:08:53 -0800, David Erbas-White

I see your point. Believe me - I've noticed it too but if it is shipped and it has the kind of content I expect, I'm not going to get to excited about typos - that won't stop me frombustin on them though. 8-)
Philip Stein wrote:

If only.
You do it because you're an idiot. No other reason.
Gus wrote:

And, from what I hear, "you only respond like your above example, when sitting behind a keyboard"..(:-)
W. E. Fred Wallace wrote:

Never got a answer from him regarding his trip to see Lee Piester either :)
Actually, I'm very curious.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

If I were you, I'd call him up. IIRC a while back I saw something here that said he has a hobby shop in AZ.

Thanks Steve. If you didn't think I were an idiot, it would lower my credibility with the rest of the world.

Nope. I published California Rocketry magazine which kickstarted the HPR industry itself. I was clearly a frequent flier.

Same.
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

So what happened; why did you stop publishing? Did you forget to pay your publisher vender bills.
W. E. Fred Wallace wrote:

Now Fred, be fair, jerry didn't *forget* to pay.
Dave Grayvis wrote:

Sorry, forgot the facts are in evidence..