ROL NEWS--New Sky Ripper Hybrids Certified

New Sky Ripper Hybrids Certified March 29, 2005 Web posted at: 12:46 PM EST

(ROL Newswire) -- Sky Ripper Systems is pleased to announce the availability of the hobby's first certified mid-power hybrid rocket motors, along with the addition of a 29mm high-power motor.

The 38/120 G125 motor offers a mid-power option to the popular 38mm line of Sky Ripper Systems products. This motor uses the standard Sky Ripper Systems 38mm PVC reload kit.

The 29/85 G63 and 29/125 G69 are the core of our 29mm system, and give mid-power flyers flexibility by offering two motors with similar thrust curves and different total impulses. Todd Moore states the motor is "perfect for tailoring your flight profile to match field and weather conditions and the big boy of the 29mm line, the 29/185 H78, is an excellent selection for a Level 1 flight or for sport flying in your favorite small high power rockets." The motors can be purchased individually, or as a three motor 'system' for the best in economics and flexibility.

The Sky Ripper 29mm hybrid motor system has been certified with a new plastic injection molded ABS fuels grains for higher consistency. The reloads are sold in packs of three, complete with all required ignition and filling supplies, and can be shipped via USPS parcel post by authorized shippers.

New Products: 38/120 ­ G125 29/85 ­ G63 29/125 ­ G69 29/185 ­ H78

For more information on these motors, and the complete line of Sky Ripper Systems products, please visit us at

Source: Sky Ripper Systems

Reply to
ROL News

OUTSTANDING.....I can't wait to fly mine!...Gotta wait 2 more weeks.....SIGH!

Mark A Palmer

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

So you are saying you bought an uncertified motor?

What state are you in and is NFPA code active in it?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

How do you know he bought a reload, maybe he just bought the hardware.

Reply to
joel

Don't presume too much...

What I have is hardware with no reloads. I purchased them at our holiday banquet through an auction (the proceeds of which went to fund the TRA legal fund). They have been patiently waiting on my desk, along with a Scale Kits Sidewinder that was built specifically for them.

No fuel has been made available yet. I assume that they will be at the launch in 2 weeks because the manufacturer (Todd Moore) usually attends our monthly launches.

Mark A Palmer

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

I know that no reload kits have been shipped before the motors were certified. Believe me, I have a standing order.

Rule 1: Ignore Irvine. Rule 2: see Rule 1.

Doug Pratt Pratt Hobbies

Reply to
pratthobbies

I sincerely doubt that there is anything illegal about buying an uncertified hybrid motor, as, until the nitrous oxide is loaded into the tank, it's just an inert lump of aluminum, brass, graphite, rubber and plastic.

- Rick "Only 'ert' when loaded" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

It seems NFPA-1122 did not account for that and thus it reads as illegal.

After all, it is a motor intended to be used for consumer use and in the catagory to be "certified" as later events affirmed.

The fact that the components are inert is a separate issue from NFPA.

It is badly wrtitten regulation.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

If rule 1 and 2 don't seem to work, dump him in the kill file..(:-)

Reply to
WallaceF

Once again, the TMT web pages seem to be silent regarding these motors. No data, no details, no nothing. Until these motors show up on the "official" lists, they aren't going to be permitted at sanctioned launches.

Bob Kaplow

motors. No

"official"

Bob,

I am pleased to announce the first G Motor Hybrid is now certified for use under the newly released G Hybrid flight rules. The Skyripper G125PVC motor is a 38 MM motor using the same closures and nozzles as their other 38 MM line, but with a new 16" case. It tests out to a 1.6 second, 145 NS,

75% G motor.

Also certified is the first in their new three size 29 MM motor line, the H78. This is a 20.5" case system and tests out (90 degrees, OAT) as a

180 NS, 3 second, 5% H motor. Cooler temperatures will enhance those numbers accordingly, all in all a nice motor for those 29 MM single and cluster rockets.

The G63 runs in the 29/75 case, a compact 12 inch long motor. It certifies as a G69, 6% G at 85 NS, 158 NS Max, for 1.2 seconds, and a standard 5 gram APCP preheater. The curve is a straight line from initial max thrust to zero at the max time.

The G69 runs in the 29/125, 16 inch hardware and tests out to a G71,

59% G at 127.7 NS, 137.95 NS Max for 1.8 seconds. The Curve is, as most U/C hybrids, an initial max and a straight line to zero at 1.8 seconds.

Paul told me that he'd be working on getting all of the data and certification documents together for addition to the TRA website within the next three weeks.

Thanks for your concern in this matter.

Todd Moore Sky Ripper Systems.

Reply to
tamoore

There's nothing that says you can't have a few pieces of plastic laying around. ;-)

Reply to
Phil Stein

Wanna bet??

I have a "big fine" to pay.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Thanks for the followup. Was this post in any public arena? TMT test results are not exclusively for TRA members. I'm looking forward to getting these as soon as possible...

Bob Kaplow

These emails were sent to;

Myself, The TRA Listserv, Jim Cook, and Max Baines.

I'll have all additional certification information up on the Sky Ripper Systems web page as soon as it becomes available to me. Todd Moore Sky Ripper Systems.

Reply to
tamoore

I believe the point Kaplow made was that the AHJ themselves (TRA TMT) failed or refused to simply publish the data as required by law, thus making your cert actiually legal.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

And what law would that be?

Expecting the stuff to be published instantly after testing is complete is unrealistic. I'd say its more like they haven't gotten around to it yet.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Blah, blah, blah,... poor jerry.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

I wonder why "big fine" didn't instantly publish his DOT big fine notice?? Oh, I know, he was attempting to comply with "plausable deniability" as long as he possibly could..(:-)

Reply to
WallaceF

I myself am curious as well about this "law" mandating publication.

Reply to
Tweak