This group has gone from great to ridiculous

Ok, true story here. A buddy of mine that I worked with for years asked me to give him a ride from the airport to home. I've never seen his house before so he gave a quick tour. Nothing much, big ass tv, nice kitchen, *real* nice workshop and then his hifi system....oh my god...

I sat in the sweet spot and he cranked up some Tori Amos....I swear the the piano was right there in the living room! God as my witness I could smell Tori's perfume!

Then he shows me this box filled with handwritten notes and algorithms from the last ten years he spent building this system. We're talking hand made tube amps, preamps, speaker boxes(several hundred lbs a piece) x-overs et all. The cable he used for the speakers is about 1" round! He even installed a cooling system in the basement that goes through the floor to his living room. All in all he gave me a estimate on what's invested in it and well, I think it literally doubled his house in value as when the house goes, so does the hifi.

Now the kicker....my bud is 80% deaf!

Go figure...

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
tdstr

Wistfully.

Is somnambulistic a word?

Reply to
Tweak

Now that you mention speaker cable, I should have added a caveat on the cabling limiting my comment to low voltage only.

And don't you want to call me a "poo poo head" or somesuch?

To the dogs.

Reply to
Tweak

Well I have no doubts that 'poo poo' heads hang on rmr, but Kurt, you ain't one of *them* :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
tdstr

Yes. See "sleepwalking"[1]...

tah

[1] OK, I had to do the dictionary.com dance for that one...
Reply to
hiltyt

I do give it my all, though.

Reply to
Tweak

Tweak stated:

So how much did you get took for on your monster cables? Tell us, which sounds better, the blue capacitors or the green ones? Did you put the green cellophane tape on the pick-up in your CD player to improve the fidelity? What size aluminum foil hat do you wear? Try not to get any snake oil on ya, OK :)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

I learned many years ago that monster cables were well worth the money.

My cat couldn't chew through them the way he could through standard speaker wire...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

You tell Us, is it?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

They do work exceptionally well to pull other cables through walls. Quite strong.

Reply to
Tweak

Now Doug... be nice...

Aluminum foil hats have been shown, in quadruple blind clinical studies, to enhance the etheral ultrasubmegamassivebass response that

*is* present, but typically unnoticed when utilizing standard "humanoid" speakers. Prior to this discovery, only the inhabitants of Oxydol-9 were able to even *begin* to perceive these multicellular, sub-atomic, electrohydrodynamic vibrations.

Certain species of Yeti *and* Sub Genii, are rumoured to be at least cognizant of the existance of these special electonuclearcarburated vibrations...

Monster cables, or nothin'... just ask Art Bell..

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

There is a $2000, platinum, POWER CABLE out there on the web somewhere....

$2000 for a power cable, I wouldn't pay that much for an audio system.

Reply to
John Bowles

So how much did you get took for on your monster cables? Tell us, which sounds better, the blue capacitors or the green ones? Did you put the green cellophane tape on the pick-up in your CD player to improve the fidelity? What size aluminum foil hat do you wear? Try not to get any

snake oil on ya, OK :)

Doug

Doug, Monster is crap, just like Cerwin Vega. For most of my cabling I use Magnan. CD transport is Mark Levinson. I I would bet you the CD transport cost more than your car...probably twice.

Reply to
ar50troll

Twice as much as this bad boy? No way!

:)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

That is my kind of car. Looks fast. ;-)

Reply to
Tweak

Well hooya! Dunno about the rest of you guys, but *I'm* impressed!

Wow...

Where does the CD transport transport your CD's to?

As I said before, to each his own, or whatever blows yer dress up...

I'll sink my cash into RMS reloads thanks, and let my poor ol' Sansui take the heat...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

I'm surprised that they didn't use drywall scraps...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

What saying is it that comes to mind? Something about fools and their money...

Who cares about a silly cage, anyway? Or a CD player that costs more than 99 bucks, for that matter. Cages and CD players exist only to transport and entertain me between home and the track or flying field.

Bet Cerwins give you nightmares. BOOM FLAP MUD BOOM FLAP MUD BOOM FLAP MUD. Think I'll go buy another 15" just for you. Oh, and I listen to CDs filled with MP3s, as well. Good enough.

Reply to
Tweak

Bet Cerwins give you nightmares. BOOM FLAP MUD BOOM FLAP MUD BOOM FLAP

MUD. Think I'll go buy another 15" just for you. Oh, and I listen to CDs filled with MP3s, as well. Good enough.

Reply to
ar50troll

I was just thinking the other day that it was time to pull my mid-70's Pioneer SX-850 out of the bottom of the closet and fire up some Christmas carols...or maybe some Molly Hatchet :)

Think I can covert my ADS's from end tables back into speakers?

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams