Today in History

Does anyone here remember the day July 20, 1969 and what happened then?

Reply to
Starlord

and don't forget july 20, 1976..

terry dean

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Why yes, in 1969 Apollo 11 landed on the moon, in 1976 Viking 1 landed on Mars, and in 2006 my Centuri Taurus clone got it's fins installed.

Chuck W Sharc, NAR Section 613

Sharc, we fly rockets so you don't have to!

Reply to
ChuckW

Yes, my youngest nephew was being born as Armstrong was pretending to come down the ladder over on lot 3 at Paramount. Of course, now we all know it was really O.J. Simpson, Bart's older brother. ; )

Randy

Randy

There was NO "pretending", On that day the Eagle landed and the first man stepted onto the Moon.

Reply to
Starlord

Did you miss the smiley face?

Randy

Randy

It's RMR. Leave the humor at the door.

Reply to
Tweak

Sorry. How 'bout some fried chicken to make up for my transgression?

Randy

Randy

Well I smirked at it! : )

Reply to
rob

Stop that!

For the chicken fans (and no, that is not me).

Tweak

I too was a bit saddened over the apathy of "One small step for man,

*static*, One giant leap for mankind".

The war in Lebanon is all over the news channels (I only tolerate Fox News, the rest don't exist IMO). This conflict could bring Syria and Iran into the battle, then the U.S. and possibly Russia/CIS ... could be a mini-WWIII ... not that the planet couldn't use a reduction of the human population by say a 3rd ... wishful thinking ...; No mention of the greatest feat in mankind's history ... Moon Landing. I think if it had been any other country besides the U.S., there would have been international celebration ... like if the French or Soviets were first ... these countries seem to celebrate every time one of their citizens takes a dump.

... But then this is what we get for "side show" space achievements. It was a RACE to the Moon ... we won, planted our flag, and now we move onto other things. I think more people around the planet were concerned with Tiger Woods at the British Open, then they were with what happened on July 20, 1969.

The race to the Moon was international politics first, scientific learning SECOND. Even von Braun stated that if things had been left to their natural progression, he would have first built a permanently orbiting space station, then use it as a 'launch pad' to go to the Moon around 1975/1976.

Instead we cut a lot of corners, lost 3 astronauts in our race to plant the American flag. When politicians get involved in anything ... BEWARE.

Well let's see what is REALLY important to the masses (looking at some of the top stories):

Paris Hilton - Is she a great anti-hero? Brittney Spears - Is she really getting a divorce? Kid Rock and Pamela Anderson Tie the knot! Michael Jackson is sued by his "egg donating" wife! Barry Bond's medical records are now in the hands of the Feds! Gas is up to $3/gal! Pirates of the Caribbean make 320 million in just 17 days!

These and more are the things that REALLY matter :( Landing on the Moon is just plain boring...

Starlord wrote:

Reply to
lunarlos

I remember those missions, and the importance my parents placed on us gathering together and watching. Back then Coca-Cola was running a promotion where you collected bottle caps with the various missions printed on the underside, then redeemed them for mission patches. The caps had black and white prints of the spacecraft, or mission insignia (I don't remember exactly, it's been a few years :-)

My Mom took me to the local Coca-Cola bottler and they set me up with every different patch they had. My Mom sewed them on a light blue jumpsuit and I spent the rest of that year looking like I was ready to stroll out to the launch complex and board a rocket.

Fortunately I think she saved that jumpsuit, I'll have to go digging for it on my next visit.

Mike Doyle

snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

Reply to
syncbus

That's what happens when You only watch Fox news.

:)

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Yep, the launch coincided with a birthday party I attended- and of course there was a rocket on the cake.

Anybody remember back in the day; if you had a second TV in the house it was likely as not a black and white model.

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

I remember my Dad building a Heathkit color TV and the old B&W getting relegated to his bedroom.

More importantly, I remember Star Trek; until then the TV was off at dinner time. Afterwards, Dad pulled the TV around the corner so we could watch from the dinner table.

Everyone has their price. ;)

Reply to
Gary

i watched ST when it was a rerun show, it's first time on the air was while I was in Vietnam. My first color set was a used one over in Hawaii in the

80's. Even now I still watch a used color set.
Reply to
Starlord