US Rockets Colossus Stinger Two

Jerry,

I was checking out your website and came across this unique and good looking two stage rocket. Would you please explain the proper way to prep and launch the booster and sustainer stages. I'm not familiar with two staging APCP motors and would like to get a little lesson from the designer instead of using trial and error.

What size chute is recommended for each stage. I launch at or just above sea level and humidity runs around 70% to 90% depending on the season.

Thanks,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Grippo

It was designed with "Discontinuous Staging-tm" in mind. This is where you use an instant igniter in the booster stage (any dipped igniter will do) and a fuse delayed igniter in the top, the fuse itself is ignited the same time as the booster motor. One used to be able to get Thermalite. Green Visco fuse wold work if sheathed and dipped.

Today I might suggest simply using staging elecronics such as from Missleworks.com. I have not upgraded any instructions to suggest these devices as they have only become readily available in the past 5 years or so.

But I do recommend them.

As for parachutes for a light weight 4" rocket, perhaps 24 inch for the booster and 48" main for the upper and drogueless for dual deployment. Or just a 36" if motor eject and "Discontinuous Staging-tm" will be used.

Good luck.

Not Instaship.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I thought a staging timer would work but the term discontinuous staging did throw me.

Thanks,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Grippo