15mm armor

Today I stopped at a game store and had a look at the 15mm stuff (I have an LCT, too) They had the BattleFront vehicles from the Flames of War game series.

They had a rather remarkable selction. I got an M4A1 (75), an M4 Dozer and an M32 TRV. They really aren't bad. The casting is a little rough but apparently they clean up really good, look at

and look at some of the finished vehicles.

I was a little unsure but they look about right sitting on the deck. They do appear to fill it correctly. I'm thinking of going back and getting 3 more M4A1 for a deck load, and using the M32 and M4 Dozer as a beach recovery team. What else would that need? Couple of trucks, half tracks or jeeps for the beach team. They even have figures, I haven't compared the Lindberg and the Battlefront figures yet but the sense is they should match.

The M4A1 consisted of a large resin casting of the hull and turret. All the details are molded in but from the scale distance that should be fine. The guy in the shop said the turret should come off, but I haven't been able to budge it yet. (Maybe not worth the hassle.) The metal includes 2 track runs, steel or rubber checvron who could tell, with bogies and return rollers, a gun with tne wide mantlet, a commanders hatch which is splittable and a .50 for the ring mount. The M4 dozer is essentially identical except for a welded hull with a nub on the front for holding the blade. The blade is not bad and the arms are separate but intial fitting says they'll fit very well. The small derrick shaped device on the back of the blade is solid but there are probably limitations in the casting. I origianlly thought of grinding it off and fabricating a derrick with plastic rod. The metal should be pretty easy to drill out. The M32 has a 3 piece derrick that appears halfway decent after some cleaning. The pully even looks to be capable of holding thread to look like chain. I'll be hitting the model ship fittings for a hook.

There is a downloadable PDF of the Battlefront catalog. Included are German, Russian, British, French and Italian vehicles besides the US.

US002 M3A1 Stuart US005 M5A1 Stuart US006 M24 Chaffee US040 M4 Sherman US042 M4A1 Sherman US044 M4A1 Sherman (76) US046 M4A3 Sherman US047 M4A3 Sherman (sandbags) US049 M4 Sherman Dozer US050 M4A3 Sherman (76) US051 M4A3 Sherman (76, sandbags) US052 M4A3 Sherman (105) US056 M4A3E2 Jumbo US057 M4 Sherman Calliope US058 M4 Sherman DD US080 M26 Pershing US101 M3 75mm GMC US102 M10 3in GMC US106 M18 Hellcat US107 M36 Jackson US142 M8 Scott US143 M7 Priest US144 M12 155mm GMC US200 M2 Half-track US201 M3 Half-track US300 M3A1 Scout Car US301 M8 Greyhound US302 M20 Utility US410 Jeep (x2) US412 Dodge 3/4-ton truck US430 GMC 21/2-ton truck US500 M3 37mm gun US501 M1 57 mm gun US510 M5 3in gun US560 M8 75mm how (Para) US570 M2A1 105mm how US600 M31 Grant TRV (recovery) US601 M32 Sherman TRV (recovery) US701 Company HQ US702 Rifle Platoon US703 Armored Rifle Pltn US705 Mortar Platoon US706 Pioneer Platoon US710 Weapons Platoon US712 Artillery Crew US714 Tank Crew US715 Seated Infantry US716 Bazooka pack US717 .50cal (x5) pack US722 Rifle Platoon (Para) US724 MG Platoon (Para) US725 Mortar Platoon (Para) US732 Artillery Crew (Para)

There was even some terrain like gun emplacements. Might make for some interesting diorama possibilites. Like I don't have enough "projects" planning and churning around in my head.

Just my .02 worth.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Frank,

Good to go, with the exception that the M32 didn't get into service that quick. The US Army took the T2 or M31 into France, and that was based on the M3 Lee tank.

Still, sounds like you have got what you were looking for. Good luck with the project!

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (AMPSOne) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m04.aol.com:

Would you believe the M32 has the old M3 Lee/early M4 type bogies with the retrrn roller centered over the bogey? You should see some of the finished items on the page for the scale very nice. And you have to see what I think is the equivalent of a Combat Command (half a division?) set out on parade. Try that in 1/35!

PS, twasn't me that initiated this. He just reminded me of my infinite list of to-do projects. Now of course I have to figure out how to a beach scene with effective surf.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I believe I started the thread with the question of closest armor scale to

1/245 for a Normandy LST I'm Planning and a Normandy 1/125 LCT that I'm also doing. The LCT will be an unloading scene, I plan to do the water in Celluclay and model the water into the clay
Reply to
Phil Campbell

Frank,

Just wanted to let you know that the turrets on the Battlefront vehicles are held on by a small bit of adhesive to prevent damage in shipping.

Just pull the turret off, it is supposed to be seperate. Battlefront does have a very nice line for all major WWII nationalities, and there are some other great manufacturers out there for infantry, vehicles & terrain.

If you are interested in any more info drop by the 15mm WWII E-Group, in the database section there are complete lists of all 15mm WWII manufacturers for various items, along with some pics, etc.

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
Slapshot