44 gallon drums

Gents, At our model club meeting today, one of the guys asked if any of us knew when 44 gal drums were introduced. None of us knew the answer, but the general consensus was 'maybe in the mid 30s?'. I turn this over to you - if anyone KNOWS for sure, please enlighten us all - educated guesses will also be accepted. He wants to build a WW1 airfield diorama, but I think he's a bit early for 44s in 1914-18 - does anyone know what fuel would have been transported in at that time. I'm guessing that 5gal drums (similar to the WW2 'flimsy") would be the go, but I'll take suggestions.

I'm off to surf the web and have a looksee for m'self, just in case none of you come through, but I'll check back later...

Thanks RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg
44 gallon drums? Didn't know there was such an animal.

Most of the world seems to have used 55 gallon drums for years even though most are not. The basic idea would seem to have been 200 liter barrels that wound up in the US as 55 gallon drums. I think the capacity may vary (200 liters equals

52.8 US gallons) so would be an interesting subject to look into.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 55 American Gallons the rough equivilent of

44 Imperial (British) gallons? I seem to remember the British system being somewhat bigger than the American, but I don't remember the conversion and with Britain having gone metric, I don't know where I'd find it anymore.

The Old Timer

Yes, you're right. The Imperial (aka British) Gallon is 4.54 litres, so

200 litres = 44.4 Gallons

The Boss

Reply to
The Boss

When I was a lad... We used to get the REME to cut 40 gallon oil drums in half lengthways. We'd then make an angle-iron framework, cut a piece of XPM weldmesh to size and - hey presto! A field BBQ!

Anyway, they were 40 gallon drums back then...

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

reason. You kinda got to like the taste of diesel and JP4 in your burgers and steaks :-) Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

Some of the best ribs and chops in town can be had at street corners in some of the "poorer sections" of town from guys doing their grilling on old half-kegs cut lengthwise. They're usually mounted on a movable frame or cart or on the bed of an old pick-up truck. Funny thing is that whereever these guys are is neutral turf, and you never know who you'll rub shoulders with. Getting there and going home, however..... 8-(

The Old Timer

Take a look at

online calculator sems to cover what you're looking for. If you just want the conversions charts, you can also get these from
Regards -- John

Reply to
John