Airfix/Frog collection

A friend of mine is thinking of disposing of a collection of 1/72 Airfix and Frog aircraft kits - every package type - every aircraft since just after the penguin series. This is hundreds and hundreds of kits. Other than him doing the ebay and dealing with dozens of people and hundreds of parcels, would anybody have other ideas? PM

Reply to
Patrick Martin

donate them to a poor builder. me. (g)

These are allmost worthless, having been overtaken by Tamyia etc, but if he wants to send them to me I'll dispose of them for him....:-)

Seriously, He coulds sell them on ebay as one lot, or through a proper auction house - if the collection has a lot of rare stuff, they might be interested.

Or he could sell them to a hobby shop, but that wouldn't be such a good return Don't reply to the btconnect address - and remove nospam!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

I'd like to also chime in as taking donations...if he does decide to sell one at a time I'd love a list.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Whether it's model kits or Hummels or stamps or Magic: The Gathering cards, it's the same story over and over again: nobody wants to buy an entire collection, except at a steep discount. The only way to maximize value is to eBay the whole schmeer, sell what you can, then mark the remnants down to a nominal amount apiece and get rid of what you can at the next club meeting. Anything left after that, donate to a kid.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Pat

There are several advertisements in the current fine scale modeler in the classified section about collection auctions and disposals.

hope this helps

Reply to
Spaceman

hundreds and hundreds of kits. Other than him doing the ebay and dealing with dozens of people and hundreds of parcels, would anybody have other ideas?>>

I realize your friend would like a monetary return on his investment, but how about a 'feel good' return? Since there are "hundreds and hundreds" of kits, how about a donation to a worthy cause, such as a VA hospital, local scouting group or maybe a teen correctional facility? My father was in a VA hospital in Iowa and was bored to tears (literally at times I'm told), so I know there are plenty of others out there in the same situation. Scout groups have the pinewood derby, but this could be a fun deviation from the norm. As far as teen correctional centers, it would give them more to occupy time, and, if instructed properly, could give them a history lesson as well. Just a thought.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

I've worked at a juvenile detention center. There's no way in the world I'd let those kids have X-Acto knives.....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

or glue and paint. simple explosives.....

easy for me to agree. i feel like a better user.