Andromeda Ascendant?

Anyone know where I can find a scale model kit of the Andromeda Ascendant from the sci-fi TV series of the same name? :)

Reply to
Chad

I've often wondered 'how' they'd make a model of that one. That would be a challenge to the toolmakers, if I understand their art.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I'm pretty sure everything is done by computer generation anymore. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Most are done with CGI but usually a "real" model is made as well. the

3D model can be digitised and is useful for the animators to check out the fall of light and shadow on the animated version. This is a old technique which comic book illustrator used to use for faces. Frank Hampson, who wrote and illustrated the English comic book character Dan Dare, went as far as to photograph his friends and family "acting out" the illustrations. He also had life sized heads of all the main characters. Andromedia is similar in appearence to Babylon 5's White Stars and there have been resin and, I believe, injection moulded models of those.
Reply to
Les Pickstock

Well, if they can do all other sci-fi stuff this won't be a prob. After all, it is standard procedure for them to have both a CGI and a scale model for it. CGI is good but nothing beats the realism of an actual physical model shot doing a flyby. Some animators do a CGI for fast moving and long distance shots but once a shot calls for a close up that's when the scale model comes in and with a close shot you can actually see the detail of the surface. Another advantage for this practice is that they won't have to use up a lot of CPU power to process such a highly detailed object. ;)

Reply to
Chad

IIRC there is a very small resin done by a known recaster, however he also apparently does some things that are not recast. it can every now and then be found on ebay. never bought it, so can't comment on how well it is done. it is less than 5" IIRC. there was never a injection molded kit of the whitestar. there was 3-4 versions in resin that was kitted. i built one by vacuforming, but am not interested in selling it as a kit. most people would not want to put the effort in it anyway. it would be possible with appropriate cgi images to SLA a model in resin. the problem would be if it were of any decent size, the "wings" would probably have to be reinfforsed with wire to support it, otherwise it will sag with time. vacuforming would be a nightmare, but would be the most cost effective way, and would solve the weight issue.

Reply to
gn141660

I'm not sure but I think that you're talking about Chris Larson. He's been making resin casts, including many originals for many years. I bought a Visitor Attack Craft (from "V") through New Frontier in Canada (now out of business) back in the early nineties and recently I made a number of purchases directly from him via eBay. He can be found there selling under the heading of 25zz. His kits are small, nicely detailed and relatively easy builds. He doesn't take PayPal, just Money Orders and (I think) BidPay. Delivery time is usually about ten days or so. I've made five purchases from him on eBay so far and haven't been dissappointed so far. HTH, -- John The history of things that didn't happen has never been written. . - - - Henry Kissinger

Reply to
The Old Timer

Reply to
masterpiecemodels llc