Axis Planes in Post War Air Races??

Curious if all captured aircraft went for study or if any made it to the private market.

was thinking of doing up a 109 or 262 in some Reno Air Race livery.....bright red with big numbers, etc....

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Just because it may not have happened, doesn't mean that you can't build one. I have a Fleet Air Arm Bf-109F sat on my display shelf!

A wise man once said "Build what *you* want, the way *you* want to!"

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I seem to recall seeing a Finnish (maybe...I think..) Me-109 in racing colors once...but I'd wager such never occured in the USA.

Reply to
Rufus

Here's a couple of links for decal sheets for that scheme.

Enzo Matrix

Yes! That's what I was thinking of.

Reply to
Rufus

Not exactly what you're talking about, but I've often considered a Hispano Ha.1112, with a Griffon replacing the Merlin, using contra props. Sort of a cross between an Me 109G & the Red Baron RB-51.

Reply to
frank

IIRC Howard Hughs was set to race an ME262 in the US. For one reason or another those plans were squashed. That 262 was on display at POF in Chino for many years.

Reply to
ptbpilot

Supposedly Howard Hughes managed to obtain an Me 262 and was intending to enter it in the Clevelnd Air Races but was eventually dissuaded by pressure from Hap Arnold and the Air Force establishment who didn't want the possibility that a German-built aircraft might win out over US-built types.

However, I've never found definitive evidence that this story is true - though it abounds several places on the internet.

It sounds a bit fishy to me although I suppose anything is possible if Hughes was involved.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

Interesting...last I heard of that jet was that folks in Chino were trying to get it flying using GE CJ-610s...and I seem to recall hearing that they did.

Reply to
Rufus

Yes, that airplane did end up at Chino - it was purchased by Paul Allen for his collection in Seattle, and when Paul approached the folks at Chino wanting to know what it would take to make it flyable (That's the point to his collection - they are all in AUTHENTIC & flyable condition) they had one word for him...... DON'T. You may, perhaps, be thinking of the Stormbirds replicas (also built in Seattle) that ARE flyable, using CJ-610s, or something very like them. There is video on YouTube of one in the air at last summer's Berlin Airshow. That was the 2nd one completed, sold to the Messerschmitt Foundation. Collings Foundation has bought the 3rd one. 3 more still for sale, crack your wallet. ;)

-Kevin in Indy

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

This a great thread! I don't remember when, but it was one of the years that I crewed Lafty Gardener's "Race 13" P-38, the rumors around the pits was that a Messerschmitt of some type was going to be entered. I'm pretty sure that it never came about, but I'm sure that this group will come up with the answer.

As to a "what if" project, great idea with limitless possibilities.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

No, I'm thinking of the one (previously?) in Chino. Was sitting in Ontario airport some years back and overheard a couple of the guys from the Chino shop talking about the project. At that time I don't think the museum had been approached to buy the aircraft.

I also know that at one time every aircraft in the Planes of Fame collection was airworthy and flyable too, so I wasn't too surprised at hearing them talk.

Reply to
Rufus

I seem to recall reading something about a post war millionare wanting to get a 262 for air racing....

Reply to
The Raven

I don't think the 262 would be permitted, since it's a jet, unless they have a jet cataegory.

Reply to
frank

There is a jet catagory at Reno. At present it is flown only by Aero L-39 Albatross Czech trainers. The first year that t was tried as a display race there was also a T-33, but the L-39s are much faster. I don't think that the Me 262 would be competitive.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Not exactly "captured", but in the 1980s somebody raced a Hispano (ex-Bf109) at Reno. It was in spurious Luftwaffe markings and didn't do too well versus the modified P-51s and Sea Furies.

What would be cool would be a Dornier Do335 racer. That design had real potential.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

couldn't imagine one in a pylon race. all the flight accounts i've read don't describe them as really agile.

Reply to
someone

I thought the BD-5J had also flown there?..maybe not in competition?..

Reply to
Rufus

Don't need to be "agile" as much as have lots of G available at low altitude...and not have a problem booting in top rudder.

Reply to
Rufus

That sounds right. I'll dig through the pile of Reno programs and photos and see if I can find it.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72