Axis Planes in Post War Air Races??

A Harrier. No question...particularly a -408 engined one. From the standpoint of acceleration ability alone, it could walk away from any of them coming out of the turn no matter how tight the turn is.

A Hawk would make a nice static display...

Reply to
Rufus

now a harrier i would wonder about the fuel load for a race. how long are the races. i really should hit reno sometime.

Reply to
someone

I'm assuming it's a fixed number of laps, and whoever makes it to the number first wins...but I'm guessing, don't really know.

And from what I hear, the aircaft don't just roll in and fly low around the pylons...you have to chandelle or high yo-yo around them to keep the turn tight - fly low, pull up and roll then pull into the turn and return downhill to the deck. At least that's the way someone I know that's actually been to a race described it to me.

The faster you go, the larger the radius of turn - can't change physics - so you trade altitude for speed to put your ground track where you want it and keep in in tight. A Harrier would have a distinct advantage doing this...forget VIFFing...

Again, they're all pretty much spec'd for the same range and endurance, and the jet wouldn't be carrying ordnance AND you could slick off the pylons...it would make it to the finish.

Reply to
Rufus

makes sense. sure be fun to watch.

Reply to