Bare jet engine 1:76 - 1:96 scale.

Hi, do any of the plastic kit manufacturers do a bare jet engine in 1:72 through to 1:96/100 scale? What I want is to build a model railway experimental snow clearer - the prototype was an ex F86 jet engine on a wagon, with the uncovered jet engine on a tubular stand angle down so that the exhaust melted the snow ahead. What it actually did was blast the ballast away and set fire to the creosoted sleepers but it would make a fun model! ;^) All I need is a representative jet engine - I don't mind buying a complete plastic aircraft if thats what I must do.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

let me guess, a government project?

You could use just a few sections of tubing (brass, aluminum, Plastruct, or whatever) and doctor it up with bits of plumbing. You could get a "representative" engine that way....if you are trying to get the basic idea across, as opposed to being overly concerned with "engine accuracy".

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I'm not concerned with any great accuracy, but all I've got is a fuzzy picture of the original and photos of more modern fan-jets and the like. I'd like the representation to be within 50 years of the correct sort of shape. My trains are noted for accuracy so I don't want to go _too_ far astray.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Mine or the original? I think the starting point was US Government Surplus prices falling to rock bottom.

Reply to
Greg Procter

hard to imagine a real railhead being that dumb.

Hobby kit Japan has a Junker Jumo engine in 1/72.

cheers,

H.Simons

Reply to
H. Simons

Revell's old 1/72 scale F-16A had a decent engine in it but that may be too modern for your purposes.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Intelligence has finite limitations, stupidity has none.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

snipped-for-privacy@post.com (railfan) wrote in :

A similar arrangement has been used to clear airfields. A nearby air force museum has a truck with an old radial-flow turbine on it.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

And Lindberg included four generic jet engines in their B-58 Hustler.

Reply to
Old Timer

These snow blowers are not experimental, I've seen quite a few personally and have seen others in photos. They appear to be commercially made for the railroads in North America. The jet exhaust goes through a funnel like arrangement made of heavy metal, and widens at the end to spread out the exhaust. It can be directed side to side with hydraulic controls. A small diesel engine actually powers the unit along the track. They are used to clear ice and snow from the track switches (turnouts). I don't think they will actually set fire to the ties, but who knows.

Do a Google search on something line "railroad jet snowblower" and I'm sure you will turn up all sorts of photos.

Bob Boudreau

Reply to
railfan

I just did as I suggested previously, a Google image search on "jet snowblower" and came up with this website that has photos of the kind of machines I was referring to:

rail/snow/other/

Good luck!

Bob Boudreau

Reply to
railfan

yep, the definition of the trolls we get.

Steve Collins

The Russians are still using them - I photographed a truck-mounted RD-45 jet engine (a RR Nene copy) being used as a snow-blower last year at Myachkovo airfield in Moscow...

If you scroll down to near the bottom of :-

you can view it.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Duffey

Gregory:

Looking through a new Roll Models catalog and found the following from "Engines n' Things": ENG72138 -Pratt & Whitney J-57 for Monogram B-52D ENG72137 -Pratt & Whitney J-57 for AMT KC-135A either for $7.65 They also list a couple of variations of the TF-33 turbo fan engine but I think this would be much bigger.

Roll Models website

I have dealt with them >

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Gregory:

Looking through a new Roll Models catalog and found the following from "Engines n' Things": ENG72138 -Pratt & Whitney J-57 for Monogram B-52D ENG72137 -Pratt & Whitney J-57 for AMT KC-135A either for $7.65 They also list a couple of variations of the TF-33 turbo fan engine but I think this would be much bigger.

Roll Models website

I have dealt with them >

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Monogram has a J-57 in their B-52 kit. I may have a spare or 2.

Reply to
frank

My reference obviously stopped at the first experiment!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter