Bare jet engine 1:76 - 1:96 scale.

Hi, do any of the plastic kit manufacturers do a bare jet engine in 1:72 through to 1:96/100 scale? What I want is to build a model railway experimental snow clearer - the
prototype was an ex F86 jet engine on a wagon, with the uncovered jet engine on a tubular stand angle down so that the exhaust melted the snow ahead. What it actually did was blast the ballast away and set fire to the creosoted sleepers but it would make a fun model! ;^) All I need is a representative jet engine - I don't mind buying a complete plastic aircraft if thats what I must do.
Regards, Greg.P.

let me guess, a government project?
e wrote:

Mine or the original? I think the starting point was US Government Surplus prices falling to rock bottom.

hard to imagine a real railhead being that dumb.
e wrote:

Intelligence has finite limitations, stupidity has none.
Regards, Greg.P.
These snow blowers are not experimental, I've seen quite a few personally and have seen others in photos. They appear to be commercially made for the railroads in North America. The jet exhaust goes through a funnel like arrangement made of heavy metal, and widens at the end to spread out the exhaust. It can be directed side to side with hydraulic controls. A small diesel engine actually powers the unit along the track. They are used to clear ice and snow from the track switches (turnouts). I don't think they will actually set fire to the ties, but who knows.
Do a Google search on something line "railroad jet snowblower" and I'm sure you will turn up all sorts of photos.
Bob Boudreau
snipped-for-privacy@post.com (railfan) wrote in <1115809810.439917.74380 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>:

A similar arrangement has been used to clear airfields. A nearby air force museum has a truck with an old radial-flow turbine on it.
--
Harro de Jong
remove the extra Zs from Zonnet to mail me

Harro de Jong wrote:

The Russians are still using them - I photographed a truck-mounted RD-45 jet engine (a RR Nene copy) being used as a snow-blower last year at Myachkovo airfield in Moscow...
If you scroll down to near the bottom of :-
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/models_pages/mos2004_day03.html
you can view it.
Ken
railfan wrote:

My reference obviously stopped at the first experiment!
Regards, Greg.P.

yep, the definition of the trolls we get.
e wrote:

NYC experimented with a J47 pod from a B-47 mounted on the roof of an RDC car. Since they didn't run out and buy up all the pods they coould get I think there were a few kinks to work out. The one that suggests itself would be the braking problem.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Mad-Modeller wrote:

coould
suggests
The jet pod on the RDC (Rail Diesel Car) was an experiment to try high speed rail, and adding the jet pod was seen as the easiest and cheapest way to go fast. The rail car reached a speeed of 183 mph! The pod was removed after the test and the RDC was returned to service.
I made a model of the test RDC some years ago, here's a shot of my model:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/railfan/JetRDC.jpg
Bob Boudreau Canada

wow.
railfan wrote:

Didn't I see that in one of the model rr mags? I want to say RMC because I just went through a bunch of MRs and didn't see it.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Greg Procter wrote:

You could use just a few sections of tubing (brass, aluminum, Plastruct, or whatever) and doctor it up with bits of plumbing. You could get a "representative" engine that way....if you are trying to get the basic idea across, as opposed to being overly concerned with "engine accuracy".
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux User #328317 - SlackWare 10.1 (2.6.10)
Greg Heilers wrote:

I'm not concerned with any great accuracy, but all I've got is a fuzzy picture of the original and photos of more modern fan-jets and the like. I'd like the representation to be within 50 years of the correct sort of shape. My trains are noted for accuracy so I don't want to go _too_ far astray.
Regards, Greg.P.
Greg Procter wrote:

Hobby kit Japan has a Junker Jumo engine in 1/72. http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMAA-01
cheers,
H.Simons
"H. Simons" wrote:

That would be spot-on, other than the price!!! Wow!!
Regards, Greg.P. NZ