Big-scale combustion engines?

Hi!
I think that most of you are in war birds or tanks. But does anybody of
you know of a plastic/resin kit for a _big_ scale
internal-combustion-engine?
I know one manufacturer (read: I know that I forgot his name) who made a
Bugatti and a Volvo engine. But they were quite crappy (have built the
Bugatti).
I'm not looking for a miniature engine out of 10 or so parts.
Any hint welcome!
Nick
Reply to
Nick Müller
There are a number of more modern V8s- a couple of Chev kits, a Hemi, and a Ford. Also there are aircraft engines. I was upset when Williams Brothers closed, but so happy to hear they were bought and some of the kits will continue to be available. They made some absolutely beautiful radial aircraft engines, P&W, Wright, and a Clergert.
There used to be a kit of an Allison gas turbine.
I'd love to see someone kit an Allison 1720 and a Merlin in large scale, say 1/12 or 1/8.
Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
Nice! Sorry, I am dumb and really not that much involved with plasic kits and their manufacturers. Would you mind giving me links to those manufacturers?
TIA, Nick
Reply to
Nick Müller
When I go big scale, 1/6th is my big scale of choice - and I always meant to pick up some of the Williams engines as I think some of them were 1/6th. I'd love to see some standalone engine kits that serve the auto, air and armor segments of the hobby.
Whichever types any company chooses to make I'd just like to see them make an effort to shoot the parts so that you could easily tear down the kit to any level of disassembly that you might find the real engine in. In other words when the cylinder heads are removed you see cylinder bores, not a long plastic rectangular boss that mates to a hollowed out head.
My personal pics:
**** Autos
The venerable Ford FE series 332 to 428ci. That's a design that you can modify and re-release so far into the future Buzz Lightyear couldn't catch up.
The venerable Ford (can you tell which way I lean) Flathead mills. Nuff said.
The possibile classic hotrodder add-ons like Edelbrock manis, Holley carbs, etc for the above mentioned - are staggering.
**** Aircraft
Uber detailled Wright R-1820. Last major type it served IIRC were the Grumman Stoofs and the Siko H-34s. That's a helluva long design life for a gasbanger in the age of the turbojet.
Til then, I'll keep slumming along with the 1/25th and 1/48th versions
WmB
Reply to
WmB
Renwal & later Revell made a 1/4 scale, IIRC, Visible P & W Wasp. Renwal also a made a Visible V-8. Entex, IIRC, made a Visible Wankel Rotary engine.Both in 1/4 scale, again, IIRC. Monogram made a 1/12 Wright R-1820. AMT has released a number of 1/6 scale auto engines lately. As someone else pointed out, Williams Bros. made a number of radial a/c engines in 1/8 & 1/6 scale. I think there are some fairly detailed model engines available for RC planes as well. Most of the older kits show up on eBay.
Nick M=FCller wrote:
Reply to
frank
Now this I didn't know. Will have to check 'em out.
WmB
Reply to
WmB
Testors have the 1:6 Hemi V8 kit no TT450 and the visible working V8 Hemi kit in 1:4 scale kit no TT452. Just found them advertised in the latest Tamiya Magazine.
Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)
Come to think of it, it may be Testor's rather than AMT.
WmB wrote:
Reply to
frank
""Nick Müller"" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@yadro.de...
Just got a catalog form Micro-Mark
Take a look at the following: 83296 83346 83048 83196 83264
Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen
Yes, just for display. Nothing to drive.
The ones that drive something, I already do (see sig.), but I want something that can be built faster. :-)
Nick
Reply to
Nick Müller