Blue Angels F/A-18 Crashes...

(ORANGE BEACH, Ala.) December 1 -- A Blue Angels pilot safely ejected Wednesday from his jet during a training flight over the Gulf of Mexico, the Navy precision flying team said. The F/A-18 Hornet went down at 2:45 p.m. local time off Perdido Key, a barrier island on the Florida-Alabama border, about 10 miles from Pensacola Naval Air Station, where the Blue Angels are headquartered.

The identity of the pilot, who was in good condition at Pensacola's Naval Hospital, was being withheld pending notification of his family, according to a statement released by the Blue Angels.

NBC 15 News spoke by phone with Paul Gordon, a Montgomery area roofer who was in the area working and saw the plane go down. "We saw him lose power, and he slowly coasted down," says Gordon. "We did not actually see him eject, he was behind a condominium at the time. From there we saw the plane come out and traveled another quarter of a mile, I guess, and hit the water."

Gordon says the plane created a large "splash" but they were unable to hear any noise because of the distance from the crash.

Reply to
William L. Powell

..."Perdido Key"...how ironic.

Reply to
Rufus

Why's that? If you're heading back to NAS P'cola point X-Ray at Perdido is one of the intials depending on the active.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

Here is the update...

William L. Powell

it says he is a new Oppossing Solo guy, guess a little head to head activity made him shit his flightsuit, so rather than RTB to face humiliation, he pulled the loud handle and dumped the $28 million dollar bird into the sea. Guess that saltwater must have cleaned out his shorts too??????

ProMedeler#33393

Reply to
DDSD

'Perdido' is Spanish for 'lost.'

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Ahhh, Of course it's also where almost all of us student NFO's lived. I guess there is a bit of irony there.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

Correcto.