Call Paolo Pizzi

Paolo Pizzi

6653 Teakwood Street Cypress, California 90630 (714) 821-7944
Reply to
Simone

ROTFLMAO!!!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Can't help withthe flathead (or the fathead who started this thread), though I did have to work out the firing order for a '68 Slant Six a while back: 1-3-5-2-4-6. Anyone know rhe firing order for an R-4630 Corn Cob?

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Thats right, and #1 spot on the Distributor Cap is on the bottom, next to the retaining clip, and CW rotation- not CCW like more 'modern' Fords used.

** mike **
Reply to
mike

WmB,

If you are building the Revell '40 Ford coupe as factory stock, then the firing order is an academic exercise, due to the design of the flathead V8's unique distributor cap 1932-48 (for 1949, Ford flathead V8's got a conventional vertical-mounted distributor.

The distributor on the '40 Ford 221cid V8 is mounted horizontally at the front of the engine block, just above the crankshaft pulley (driven by a 2:1 reduction gear from the camshaft). The caps (there are two of them!) are semi-globular bakelite parts, one on each side of the distributor housing.

The plug wires are bundled into the bakelite caps (they are inserted into the distributor itself behind these caps) according to the cylinder bank they go to. They exit the caps by an opening on the upper side of the caps themselves, a bundle of 4 leads for each side.

Once out of the cap, the wires were loomed into steel tubes, which lay next to the valve side (upper side) of each cylinder head, and are curved down to mate into the bakelite caps. Along the horizontal path of these looms, there are three holes, one for each of the first three sparkplugs the loom passes, and then simply open at the end for the 4th plug on each bank of cylinders. The plug wires were actually arched upward quite a bit, as in those pre-war days, plug leads were insulated with rubber, then armored with a woven sleeve, which in turn was varnished for water/oil proofing, giving them a golden tan color. The reason for their being arched was that the terminals attaching them to the plug was a hollow, snap-on terminal, much like today (prior to about 1935, V8 plug lead terminals were screw-type terminals, and fastened underneath a threaded nut on each plug).

So, now you can see why I say it really will not matter what the firing order is, for wiring up the plugs on this engine in its stock configuration, simply because no one will ever be able to see the inside of the distributor, nor be able to trace the leads from distributor to plug!

AA

Reply to
Amodlra

Well you got me there. ;-) Thanks for the info. For anyone that's interested here's a pic of what AA is talking about:

If you like flathead Fords you'll love this site. Go to the main page and kick around a bit. Make sure you have your speakers on and listen to that sweet sound.

I actually owned a stock '40 sedan deluxe with the original flathead back when I was about 19. I rescued it from a guy that was going to chop it into a street rod with a... spit... hack... ugh... small block Chevy. He had just started the disassembly process at a local body shop when I stumbled across the car and news of his pending divorce.

CHA-CHING! :-)

The car came to me in parts but was all there and ready to go back together. I didn't get too far into the project though. I never dreamed I would be able to ship off to a good college after I finished with the local junior college. Somehow my sorry butt got accepted with one and without warning the need for funds loomed very large.

CHA-CHING!:-(

I miss that car, but I'd miss my diploma even more - even if it doesn't open as many doors as it did back in the 80s. Than again, if it had been a coupe or a convertible, I don't know where I'd be today, but I know what would be in the garage. ;-)

WmB

WmB

Home page

WmB

I was about 19. I rescued it from a guy that was going to chop it into a street rod with a... spit... hack... ugh... small block Chevy.>>

To each his own, but I do agree--it should have been a BIG BLOCK CHEVY he was putting in! ; )~

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

LOL. Bad dawg!

WmB

WmB

nope, a big honkin hemi!

A big block boat anchor? I think not, Flyboy! 'REAL RACE CARS DON"T WEAR BOW TIES'

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Now I know what that protuberance on the front of all the flatheads in all the Ford models I have. Cool! Thanks, Art!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak