Dust in Alclad II Finish

Okay, I carefully washed off the plane, blew compressed air over it from the airbrush, and then painted it in a spraybox that has enclosed doors. And I still see tiny bits of hair-like dust in the finish. Darn it.

Is there any careful way to remove it? The only think I can think of is to use a very fine sand, but that will ruin the perfect finish I want.

Or is there no such thing as a perfect NMF? Sigh.

Alan

Reply to
Banshee741

I'd use Scotchbrite instead of sand paper - I've never tried using Scotchbrie wet, but in this case is may be of some advantage.

Reply to
Rufus

Thank you Rufus. I'll test it in a small area.

Reply to
Banshee741

You didn't state what type of Alclad ll you are using? The polished finishes have different properties than the non polished ones. In most cases dust, lint or what ever is a problem with the base coat, especially with the polished finishes where gloss enamel is used for the base. Also you state you are using a spray booth. I have always thought of these as a dust booth. If you are ventilating, as you should if you are inside, you are drawing air with all it's dust across your work. If it is totally closed you may be swirling the dust that is inside it. Unless you have a hermetically "clean room" it may not be in the cards for you to get dust free finishes with certain types of paint. I paint HO gauge streamlined passenger cars with Alclad ll stainless and am able to do so with virtually no dust or lint in the finish. It requires a lot of attention to the detail of the procedure to do this though and is not usually accomplished in one step, but it can be done. To me the biggest challenge, for this type of finish, is to get a glass smooth surface of the base coat -- that is almost impossible to do.

J. Bright

Reply to
jhbright

I've got a few books in the collection on passenger cars but they never seem to detail interior colors. Do you know of any books with such details? tia

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper