foiled

Yeah, you can use frisket paper, but it amounts to about the same thing. Another way is to use thin tape and mask off all the horizontal lines and paint. Then take off that tape and mask all the vertical lines. Then paint that. It takes a while, but it works well. Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

i tried to mask a canopy for painting. any other ways?

not happy with that way either. so far painted tape has the best look. if i could get thinner tape, it would look better. scotch etc, stick up too high to look good enough. know of any real thin? i'm guessing paint won't stay on foil?

Go to a drafting supply house. They have all kinds of tapes of various thickness and width. "Chartpak" is a good brand. Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

too bad e j arden's folded.

Depending on how well the framing is defined, you can try liquid mask (liquid latex) and apply it with a brush or toothpick. Let it dry until it's clear, then paint. Being a liquid, it will form a meniscus at the edges of the framing and shouldn't flow over onto it. Use only a nylon bristled brush, DO NOT use a hair bristled brush; once the latex dries it will come out of the nylon, but not out of the hair--trust me on this one! After you've painted, gently pick the latex off with a toothpick. BE GENTLE--it's easy to leave scratches even with a toothpick, but you can cover them with a dab of Future.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

got to be an easier way out there.

Foil is the answer, you just have to apply yourself-magnification is the big key here.

Okay, try this. Paint a suitable sized chunk of foil the color you want. Use a straight edge and sharp knife to cut the size strips you need. Apply using finger pressure, burnishing is optional; it may chip the paint if you don't do it with the right utensil-the small plastic coffee stirrer from MickeyD's always worked for me. I've got kits with foil frames that are twenty years old, no peeling or lifting. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

i will try that. the cutting thing is too hard for my hands. i'm a bit shaky from asthma meds and such. thanks for the ideas, i know i'll find a good looking way i can do.

I see, the straight edge and knife ought to put you in the right direction. Placement will take a bit of practice. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

i can do cutting painted strips and laying them down. i just need to find a thing media. scotch tape is too thick.