To weld the plastic parts of the kits, I use a product which is called in Frenchman "trichloréthylène". I thought that the English name of this product was "Trichlorethylene", but someone says to me in another thread that he doesn't know this word. Can you say to me which is the right word please?
MEK does the job too but it too should be used in a well ventilated area and one should not let any of these chemicals have any long term contact with the skin as some of them (acetone for one) can get into the system through skin contact.
If it isn't dangerous, how much fun can it be. :-)
Not very toxic (occurs naturally in wine and fruit), and works very well. Modelling in the nude with a round-handled Xacto knife is sufficient danger for me. (And actually my modelling table has a raised edge, so the knife can't just roll off. I would have to drop it in my lap...)
It's always been Trichloroethylene or Tricleen AFAIK. There used to be a big open vat of the stuff in the degreaser room right behind the stockroom at Hamilton Watch. It was used to clean grease off the fuse parts. A whiff was pleasant but getting any closer (and two guys manned the vat) was not. The two guys never used any respirators. No one suggested them and I don't think they would have been used anyway. I wonder how those guys are doing now.
Translation has been sufficiently covered, but there's another thing about this material that might interest you: the eco-maniacs have managed to get this material banned in the EU. Once stock runs out, you should no longer be able to get more. Use sparingly, and if you can still find a supply, stock up for the rest of your life. And if your supply is more than you're likely to use, would you consider selling me some?
Well in France you can find little bottles Sold as untying for tissue, but I buy directly at wholesaler's specialized for chemical industry. I'm indeed ok to try to consider selling you some, but it is rather the transport towards to you which seems very complicated (do not forget that there is a very strict rule on the transport of dangerous products, and that sending by the post office is strictly forbidden).
Rob, there's a reason. I actually asked Chris what this stuff was cause I hadn't heard about it, and thanks to everyone for filling me in. I did a bit of scouting on the net and this stuff is bad shit, no kidding, about all it doesn't give you is the clap and brewer's droop (theres a combination to make your eyes water). I'm sticking (sic) to contacta, superglue and PVA.
No, if doctors use it to glue wounds I reckon it must be fairly safe. And I rarely use it anyway - ethylacetate isn't the same as cyanoacrylate, in case that was your impression. (For the safety of superglue, see for example .)
Don't worry, I always build models alone. Often at night when I can't sleep (or should sleep, but want to build models.) It's the only time it's quiet enough here.
I'm quite aware or tri's less than pleasant characteristics. However, there is such a thing as overstating the issue (not by you, by the various references). Sure, its nasty stuff, but to get into serious trouble, you need long term exposure, in consierable doses. Please bear in mind this was used on a huge scale as a de-greaser in workshops the world over (see Bill's earlier post for a typical example). Although there is little doubt some of those working with it suffered as a result, huge numbers did not. I honestly do not believe this material is dangerous to any significant extent provided it is used with care and moderation.
I'd also like to point out that most sharp-smelling organics have similar nasty characteristics. That includes whatever solvent is used in your favourite glues ans paints. Tri might be somewhat higher on the nastiness scale, but given sufficient dosage over a long time, the others are just as bad. The real problem with tri is it's long term effect. It hardly degrades, and does bad things to ozone (it is a CFC after all). This, more than direct health hazards, led to the ban.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to return to the days when buckets of it were everywhere, but a complete ban strikes me a a slight overreaction.