Hobby Lobby Academy 1/32 F-18 Hornet

Well I got the 1/32 F-18 Hornet for $55 at the Hobby Lobby sale.
Yikes, now what am I going to do with it? I am afraid to open the
box. This is one of those that may find its way onto ebay in a month
or so.
I also picked up the Accurate Minature B25-B for $15. This will be my
next project.
Stores here in Colorado Springs / Denver are well stocked especially
with planes, ships, and armor. I think it is because of all the
military we have in this area. I am afraid to go back this week. So
many kits so little time.
Ron R....
Reply to
yoeleven
good to find I'm not the only one who thinks like that. Way too many times I bought a kit and getting it home I kick myself asking why I bought the damn thing. Is polystyrene addictive? HMS Victory, Tamiya 1/32 Zero, etc all spent time in the attic but have now been adopted by someone else......
Craig
Reply to
Craig
$55?...you are the MAN! I over-amped an just bought one for twice that...guess that was the kharma coming around after I scored that 1/32 Tamiya Zero for $40...
Build it man, build it!
Reply to
Rufus
Save something for me Ron.... I will hit the one on 8th St.
rich
Reply to
Rich
I got my Bug this time, but they were out of the 1/32 Revell F4Us. Got the AM SBDs during the last sale before Christmas. Gathering 1/32s is (for me) only a way to be able to see what I'm building, as eyes fade, without worrying with needle point tweezers that eject parts into the stratosphere, dry brushing with 10/0 whiskers or watch that pindrop of CA get dragged 1/4" on its way to where it was supposed to go. Magnifiers are nice but working in 1/72 Tiny is getting to be more difficult and 1/48 isn't all that much better. I wish I had an interest in the 1/24 Spits and Mustangs that have been sitting at our HL for a year or so. They should be real easy for aging eyes :-)
Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH
Reply to
Charles Ryan
You guys in the US-of-A are so lucky! There is no equivalent of = HobbyLobby in the UK, or indeed Europe.
Andy
Reply to
Andy Macrae
Have you no crafts stores that consistantly sell their merchandise at attractive prices? If not that is sad indeed. HL sells much more than just models however they are what we talk about here.
Andy Macrae wrote:
the UK, or indeed Europe.
Reply to
Grandpa
My local model shop has never had a discount time in over 10 years, if i wanted teh F18 32nd scale would cost me the rough eq of er...................about $150 at least.
HobbyLobby in the UK, or indeed Europe.
Reply to
JULIAN HALES
Thats uncivilized! We only a few small hobby shops but for the most part their prices are pretty civil, plus they'll order the new stuff for you. They typically have at least a once/yr sale of 10% or 20% off and often cater to modeling clubs where they allow a 'sidewalk sale' of peoples models they want to sell. Between them, Hobby Lobby and Michaels we have a fairly decent selection here.
Keep an eye in your newspaper for estate sales etc. Last year we had a gentleman pass away who was a serious collector of kits. I doubt he built any but he sure collected them. The local shops knew him well. He had literally thousands of models that went up for sale after his passing, 5 rooms floor to ceiling almost and a double car garage full, aircraft, auto and ships mostly. I bought Heller's Soleil Royale (unopened) for $60 and Tamayas USS Enterprise (Carrier - unopened) for $40, the BIG 800+ piece model, among others.
JULIAN HALES wrote:
Reply to
Grandpa
Hi Charles, I'm with you. With large, 1/32 or 1/24 kits the space is there challenging you to add, detail, super detail and scratch build parts, AND, they are easily viewed and appreciated.
More power to you, I say.
Reply to
Kitt
That is right! Not only were models 1/2 off w/coupon but all artist paints are 1/2 off this week. Sculpting supplies go on sale about every other month but their resin casting materials need a better (or alternate) line.
-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH
Reply to
Charles Ryan
For those who don't have a HL around the corner but want a little more info, their URL is
I'd bug them to locate in your area.
Reply to
Grandpa
I saw last week the same models on the shelf from the late 80's. same dents and same dust, my kids are the same age.........
Reply to
JULIAN HALES
Very rarely here in Denmark you get at sale on anything model related, even finding a store that stocks more than a few items is hard. I know of two or three shops that have a decent stock, and almost only standard boxings, no extra decals, resin and VAC conversions to speak of, just a little tiny bit of it.
Reply to
Claus Gustafsen
Hi Ron:
I lucked out too ....
Hobbycraft/Trumpeter 1/24th Spitfire, normally $116 (more at regular hobby shops), mismarked $34.99 at the Loveland, Colorado Hobby Lobby store, my price, $17.50.
Ta ..Da ..
The downside - 25 miles of ice/snow covered mountain roads (driving up the Big Thompson River Canyon), temperatures plummeting all the while, to get home in the dark ..... So if I had totalled my car in a ditch (or worse, in the river) the bargain would not have been so terrific.
Yes, 1974 Rancheros are not your ideal Rocky Mountain vehicle. Big Detroit V-8 rear wheel drive iron.
Well, I can now skip tomorrow's Super Bowl and get started on the Spit. It appears at first glance to be marvelous kit.
.../Vess Irvine Estes Park, Colorado
P.S. They had the 1/32nd F-18 and 1/48th B-25 as well
Reply to
Vess Irvine
Vess:
I wonder how long it will be before someone at HL hears about all these posts of mismarked merchandise and does something about it? If they are mis-marking model kits, it is highly likely they are mis-marking other things as well. The model kits are probably just a tip of a much bigger iceberg.
Bill Shuey
Vess Irv>
Reply to
William H. Shuey
The seven or eight Atlanta area Hobby Looby's must be an anomaly. Not only have there been no reports of mismarked kits, I went to the register with a kit that had no price tag (but I knew what the price was) and the check out girl knew the price from memory.
Art
Reply to
Art Murray
Got a 1/35 Tamiya Flak 88 for $5 at a K-mart once the same way...that's how I ended up with three of 'em...
Reply to
Rufus
They seem to be hiring the quality of people they are willing to pay for.
Tom
Reply to
Tom Hiett
How's that expression go? "What do you get when you pay peanuts? Monkeys!" We have several places here in Baltimore where a lot of the help (?) can barely speak English. No wonder they have problems.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey