Academy 1/32 F-18 Question

so the kit has 900 pieces.

If one does not have the inclination to build it with all the interior details, working hinges, etc are we talking about lowering the total pieces to work with to around 700?

I always build my planes closed up as I enjoy the basic lines of aircraft as opposed to looking at all the innards.

From what I've read this kit may have more to offer than what I want to work with.

Suggestions, etc... please

Craig

Reply to
Craig

A lot of the parts are ordnance options, and also things like complete sets of flap hinges for each setting (up, full down and I think 2 in between). It's a lot of work but very rewarding.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

Most of the parts are the weapons, many of which won't be used as the aircraft can only carry so much. Most of the other extra parts are for either/or options, not detail that you can leave out. For example, you can have the wings folded or not folded (the hinges don't actually work) and the parts for the unchosen option will be left over. Similarly, you get two different styles of exhaust with the extras left over. About the only "innard" you can leave out is the radar.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

I can't directly answer your question as I've only glanced through the parts, but I believe several hundred of the parts are on the weapons sprues. I'm pretty sure that it includes far more than you can even fit on the plane if you wanted them all.

John Benson ------------------------ IPMS El Paso Web Guy

John Benson

There are no working hinges in this kit...and for some reason, they give you two full engines without any of the external accessories on them - and neither will be visible anyway.

Quite a bit of the kit is the variety of ordnance that comes with it - yes; you certainly don't HAVE to build it ALL. But the kit really doesn't provide much in the way of "innards" other than a very nice radar array and rack. There are no open doors or "working" parts in the kit other that being able to position the surfaces and the speedbrake. I can't think of anything outside of ordnance that you could "leave off".

A decent model of an F/A-18 Hornet in 1/32 is going to be a fairly complex kit just because a Hornet is a fairly complex aircraft - I've heard it said the the main gear on a Hornet are the most mechanically complex set of landing gear ever produced en-mass, so you can take that from the jet to the kit to start with - the kit gear are kits in themselves. It's just a complex subject, done very well - and that makes for a lot of parts. Just take your time, and enjoy the build.

Reply to
Rufus

You can leave out many parts (especially ordnance, extra engine parts etc.) Check out my building "in progress report" at

cheers Meindert

Reply to
Meindert

Just what are you actually doing with this build?..

Reply to
Rufus