ink and milk wash

I've subscribed to a quarterly modeling magazine called Sky Models. It's offered through Squadron- pretty good with lots of color photos. The Italian to English translation is a bit clunky at times but not a problem.

Anyway, one of the articles mentioned that the author thinned sepia colored ink with water and MILK before applying it to panel lines.

I did try thinning some acrylic ink with a 50/50 mix of water and 1% lowfat milk. It seemed that this slowed the drying time down for the ink and prevented staining of the painted surface. Has anyone else ever heard of or tried this combination?

Lee

Reply to
leeroy

Did he thin it *with* milk or to a milky consistency?

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Here's a quote from the article: "The lower panel lines were enhanced with sepia ink, thinned with water and milk".

Lee

Reply to
leeroy

I suspect that in this particular case something *did* get lost in the translation...

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Don't be too hasty there, milk was a common enough ingredient in paints

100 years or so ago.
Reply to
Ron

I'm real low on milk and I'm saving it for the last cookie before bed otherwise I'd be in the basement testing! Later,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Many lectures in restored villages talk about the buildings being painted with tints mixed with sour milk. That light blue color being one of them. So milk in paints is not a new idea. You'd almost think it has something to do with viscosity or surface tension in the application from your description. Some of these guys are porfessional artists and use tricks the rest of us have never heard of. I'd bet in Italy he's more likely using real milk not

1%. Be interesting to try that.

Slightly off topic but this brings back a memory of an artists material, the name escapes me at the moment, that was a curdled milk by product that would produce a clear jel when mixed with water. Some people used it on dioramas. It really looked like water. Then one of the guy's dioramas grew mold or whatever and for a short while it looked like the best simulated grass I've ever seen.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

There are apparently 'organic' or 'green' house paints that are meant to appeal to those of us on the far Left, based on milk. The former mayor of Berkeley, CA, had a misadventure with this sort of paint--did up the whole inside of the house with the stuff, and it promptly took on the odor of limburger cheese. I don't know the extent of the damage, except that it probably involved more than just removing the paint. Bottom line: it's a cute idea, but I have no desire to have my models start to smell like spoiled cheese, so I think I'll pass.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

...hmmn...why am I getting visions of a horrible accident involving a midnight snack in the darkness with turns out to be cookies and flat white paint only after the lights come on?

Reply to
Rufus

And I though most tempra paints were mixed with eggs as a binder...or should that be "tempura paints"?..

I'm thinking that the fat in the milk is what's slowing the drying time (as stated elswhere), but that's a guess. Anyway, if it works, why knock it?

Reply to
Rufus

Wow, my initial question from last night has spawned some interesting responses! Having reread the magazine article several times, I do not think that the statement about using milk as a thinning agent is an Italian to English translation error. The same statement is made several times in the article in slightly different ways. In one of them, the author stated that he thinned with this mixture to help the ink stay inside the panel lines. Just when I thought I knew it all... :o)

Reply to
leeroy

what kind of paint is he using? Water based artist paints (like watercolors) or acrylic model paints?

I didn't catch that in previous posts, but can only assume he's using water based paints...sounds similar to the dishwashing liquid trick to me.

Reply to
Rufus

Ok - forgot the "ink" part. Still makes sense.

Reply to
Rufus

Milk contains caseinates whichn was the basis of milk based paints. Having worked with caseinates in the food industry I can tell you that a solution of that stuff drys as hard as nails and verry tough to remove from the lab bench. WRF

"Nooooooo! Stop me before I build again."

Reply to
rfranklin

Wasn't milk an ingredient in casein glues and paints??

Bill Shuey (who admittedly flunked chemistry)

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Milk. It does a model good.

Reply to
Rufus

No doubt you are all too busy modelling to be doing any house decorating, but one of the big things in Oz over the last few years, along with "lime washing" items, has been milk based paints.

Going from paint to ink is hardly a giant step.

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

I talked to the owner of my local art supply shop. He said that the ink would bond with the fat in the milk and prevent the ink from spreading out as much. Which basically means that it will stay in a panel line or along the edge or raised detail better. It also seems that when dry the ink isn't quite as permanent; excess can be wiped away.

My original mix of 50/50 1% milk/water to thin the ink works pretty well. After it dried, I went back and cleaned up the weathering with a q-tip very slightly dampened with Windex . Worked just fine.

Lee

Reply to
lee

Properly formulated milk paints and casein paints will not do that funky cheese thing.......

Reply to
Ron