lightening Olive drab

I am having trouble finding an Olive drab paint is not too dark. I am using acrylics. Tamiya mostly. The Olive drab they have is very dark and does not look right on scale models.IMO. What should I use to lighten it up? I have tried white but it seems to turn it brown and lose the green. And yellow doesn't really lighten it up much but rather changes the shade. Is there another combination that will work better? Any advice appreciated.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Try lightening it with light tan or RLM02

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Are you just painting with OD paint? If you use washes and drybrushing it will naturally lighten up when you finish, and the result will look about right. If you lighten it and then do that, the result will be too light and faded.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

Isn't faded ok after a few years in battle?

did they repaint allied tanks in the field during WWII?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Few vehicles except trucks last long enough to get that faded in combat.

Yes, most nations did have ways to repaint vehicles in the field and did so during WWII. The US Army had a number of engineer units that did that (mostly for camouflage) as did the Germans and the Soviets.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

appreciated.

Reply to
The Laws

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this,as I am just jumping in,but Model master acrylics Olive drab is much lighter than Tamiya.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Now you've done it!! Better zip up Pete.

Reply to
Michael Stanley

Being able to airbrush in the house has huge advantages. That is why I am using acrylics. Maybe this summer I will give enamels a try.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Timely question. The latest FSM has an article devoted entirely to this subject.

Art

appreciated.

Reply to
Art Murray