matchbox b17g

anyone have the decal sheet they can sell or trade? or a 3rd party sheet with some interesting noseart? and are there any comments about the kit?i understand the 2 tail types but why is the nose split off and seperate? seems odd, even for matchbox.

Reply to
someone

makes sense along with the 2 tail assemblys. it's not a bad kit, some sanding and putty and it will look like an airplane.

Reply to
someone

Never had one so I'm just guessing that the nose was separate to fit the box. That one was probably the only large 1/72 Matchbox not owned by me.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Perhaps it was for an eventual reissue of a plane with and without chin turret? I don't know squat about the B-17 or the kit to know if this is possible though. I know I do have the unbuilt kit down in the basement.

Reply to
RobG

I don't have the Matchbox B-17, but I thnk that the plan to eventually issue an earlier variant explains the cut off nose. The one thing that kit manufacturers miss (or ignore) is that the earlier B-17s had waist gun positions directly opposing each other. This led to gunners banging into one another and resulted in all later models having staggered waist positions.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

right, late model f's and the g's, i believe. that seems like common sense.

Reply to
someone

Staggered waist guns came during G production. Early -Gs has the unstaggered positions, like the earlier Forts.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

ok, thanks. took a long time for dawn to break over marblehead!