vulcan again

i've been trying to find picturesof the natural scheme for vx777. anyone know of any or can give a good description? i don't want to waste a white or camo on the lindberg kit. and whats this about winows on the bomb aimer bulge?

Email me and I'll send you some of the images I've collected. Have some nice VX770 pics.

Finish should be gloss white. The bulge has a arch shaped window in the front.

Reply to
The Raven

yes, now i'm straitened out. i will do vx777 in the white finish. i like that aircraft and its look.

Oh, Oh, Oh! I was just on eBay and saw a guy selling some old Air Trails magazines (industry and modeling mags from the 1930s through 1950s, older ones are best). Anyway, one of the auction is for (unfortunately) five issues, but the one pictured is of the VX777. If you're interested, it should have a bunch of pictures and descriptions.

The Old Timer

All of the photos I've seen show the "High Speed Silver" aluminium paint finish. I don't think that unpainted Vulcans ever flew.

Reply to
Jeff C

thanks, i'll go look.

Here's a pic of VX770 without the bomb aimer bulge

Chek

this is all great stuff. lots of good ideas.... i wish someone made a 1/48 with super details. it begs to be built large.

The giveaway is the flat even appearance of the finish. If you look at a photo af a natural metal aircraft Let's use a contemporary:

Scroll down to the photos of the XB-35 and YB-49s. Look at this one especially:
all those differing shades of the panels? They almost look like a patchwork, right? That's unpainted natural aluminium. (Take your time going through that site; there's lots of good stuff there, and I'll wait until you get back.)

Back so soon? Okay, look here:

the 6th image down, a nice picture of one each Victor, Valiant and Vulcan all in High-Speed Silver finish. Note that there is none of the "patchwork" appearance shown by the XB-35 above. This is the silver painted finish that many RAF aircraft wore at the time.

Reply to
Jeff C

Reply to
Norman Lever

In article , Norman Lever writes

I believe the 'V' came from the Vickers Valiant which was the first V bomber. Vickers used the alliteration naming sequence common at the time and came up with Valiant. Later somebody decided that starting them all with V and 'V bombers' would be a good idea (possibly to try and distance them from 'A bombers' - not very PC). Avro and Handley Page were then requested to come up with names beginning with 'V' or so the story goes.

Reply to
John Halliwell
[snip]

It's big enough in 1/72 without wanting one in 1/48!

Reply to
The Raven

And now re-issued by Airwaves with a really nice etch sheet.

Reply to
Jeff C

I'm only aware of a K.2 set, since that's what the kit does best from the box. I'm sure that a B.2 conversion is achievable with a bit of work.

Reply to
Jeff C

Tell me about it; I've got enough kits for six Vulcans and six Victors. And three Valiants. I just wish I had the time, motivation, skill and space to build them and store them after.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

"Maiesm72" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m22.aol.com...

Flightpath do two sets for the Victor, based on the old DB sets.

K.2 has the DB resin intakes (to remove the difficult-to-fill split line), metal pieces to correct the fin top fairings, and a large etched brass fret that Flightpath originally sold by itself before they got hold of the DB sets (this includes a set of intake blanks that they intended to hide the joint before they got the DB set). It may or may not now also include the bulge under the starboard with for the Artouste APU. The Mk.1 has the wing centre sections in resin (full wing chord, including the smaller intakes and exhausts rather than half chord with just the intakes for the Mk.2 set), metal wing tips (too shallow in my set) and the same etched brass set as the Mk.2. It may also have a blanking piece for the fin root intake. It's up to the builder to remove the wing fairings, remove the fuselage refuelling gear if necessary and modify the tail cone to the standard of choice. It should be possible to convert the K.2 into a B.2 by lengthening the wings, removing the refuelling gear and, if required, fitting a Blue Steel from the Airfix Vulcan and modifying the tail cone to include the Red Steer tail warning radar. Scale Aircraft Modelling many years ago included some decals for B.2 Victors; 100 and 139 Sqns, in the anti-flash white scheme. Flightpath also do an etched brass set for the Mk.2 Vulcan, and a Mk.1 (or Mk.1a) Vulcan conversion including the resin leading edges, Mk.1 tail cone, metal pitot tubes and main landing gear legs from the old DB set.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

In which case I recommend you search out an unmutilated copy of Scale Aircraft Modelling Volume 5, Number 7 (April 1983). The Aircraft in Detail article on the Victor may have been re-done in the Warpaint series book and in Scale Aircraft Modelling Volume 25 Number 2 (April 2003), but the 1983 issue also included a decal sheet for anti-flash Victors. The sheet has two sets of roundels and fin flashes in pink, white and pale blue, pale squadron markings for 100 Sqn, 139 Sqn and the Wittering Wing, plus pale blue serials for XM715 (100 Sqn, pre-Blue Steel Mk.2, with an early standard of fin root intake, and no wing trailing edge fairings; this is confirmed by a photo in the 2003 SAM article), XL158 (139 Sqn Blue Steel carrier with Red Steer tail radar, refuelling probe and kit standard fin root intake) and XL162 (Wittering wing, with kit standard fin root intake, refuelling probe and Red Steer fitted). I may get my attempt at XL158 finished eventually; lengthening the wingtips isn't too difficult, fitting the Blue Steel was OK, especially with the plans from "Scale Models" magazine (or ISBN 0-85242-940-1, Post War Jets volume 1, Argus Books), to help. The problems come with the bumps for the Red Steer tail radar (they're a bit small), and the heat exchanger to the left of the nose of the Blue Steel missile (odd shape).

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell