McDonnell F2H-2 Banshee..in gray?

Hi,

I'm working on an F2H-2 Banshee. The Testors box shows a gray and white scheme. Is this an accurate paint scheme? My web searches have come up with only blue for the F2H-2. I really want a gray and white one.

Thanks,

Reply to
KC

The Banshee was caught in the midst of the USN changing over to the grey-over-white scheme in the late 50's. I've seen pics of VF-102's Banshees in grey/white, sitting next to another squadron's aircraft, still painted in blue, on the carrier deck. The only warning I'd offer is to make sure of the marque of the Banshee

- the Testors version is the shorter-fuselaged version while VF-102 used the longer version (I found this out in a little research for a VF-102 build). I don't know how long-lived the earlier versions of the aircraft were... Amtech is supposed to come out with a Big Banshee (F2-H4?) at some point, that's what I was hoping to build...

Frank Kranick

KC wrote:

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

According to the Ginter "Naval Fighters" book, some Reserve F2H-2s and some F2H-2Ps were operated in the grey over white scheme.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

Some were also in natural metal, too, weren't they?

Reply to
frank

Not NMF, but a lacquer. Didn't hold up well in the salt air.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

The kit is based on the F2H-1 and not the -2, as it is 14" too short and has a too small canopy to hide that fact.

I started on one of these but ran out of steam when I could not find aqequate references on it (and I even asked Jim Mesko for help!) I got the fuselage extended 14" and found that a modified Monogram F-86 canopy fits well on the new model with some filler putty and work.

If you just want to build it for fun, I don't see any reason not to paint it two-tone grey. (You should get Jim's book from Squadron as a reference, though.)

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Thanks all,