Mid to late 1940's military vehicles

I'm trying to find what color the stateside jeeps and trucks attached to the Army Air Corp around 1945-46 would be. I always assumed olive drab but others have told me gray, OD with gray doors, etc. Is there any definative answer to this? I'm trying to get this info for a friend. TIA Warren I'm feeling much better now.......

Reply to
Rusty12759

Recent color photos show the pre-1947 ones would have been OD or grey, based on the year of acquisition (post-war appears to be grey, and then a shade of blue after 1947.)

Tactical vehicles were OD until well into the 1950s, such as hack jeeps, 3/4 ton Dodges, 2 1/2 tons, etc.

Specialized vehicles were different, most of the fire equipment appears red and

servicing vehicles yellow.

A good, well-researched guide would help a lot of folks out, so far have not found one.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

"AMPSOne" wrote

My dad was crash crew chief (a 20 year-old Corporal!) at Ciampino Field in Rome through most of 1946. He said his fire trucks were OD. The Corps of Engineers appears to have bought fire-fighting equipment too, which I'm sure was OD. Perhaps these were COE items used by the USAAF?

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

For whatever reason, the person specifically wanted stateside paint schemes for the jeeps, trucks etc. I guess this was near the transition from the Army Air Corp to the USAAF so there may be conflicting info. Any help would be appreciated. TIA Warren I'm feeling much better now.......

Reply to
Rusty12759

It's an interesting question - depends if the vehicles in question are wartime manufacture or post-war.

I'd say that immediately postwar the odds are that they would be flat OD - there were huge numbers of wartime vehicles still around at that time and the majority of them were OD. Even in the 50s (in Korea for example) the USAF still used tactical vehicles it had inherited from the Army Air Corps, and they were still painted with the original flat OD.

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

OK...he's narrowed it down to mid 1947.(Why didn't he say that at first?....SIGH). That would be USAAF by then correct? Markings would be a white star behind the door opening? Same for a 2-1/2 ton truck as well? Thanks again for the help Warren I'm feeling much better now.......

Reply to
Rusty12759

The vehicle would be standard US Army except for the bumper codes, which would reflect an AAF assignment. USAF not in use until after September 1947.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne