Model shops in Newcasle Upon Tyne, UK?

Hi group, going up to Newcastle upon Tyne, is the model shop still open in Heaton St, and any more open in the city. What happened to Beatties is that still open? Pete

Reply to
Me

"Heaton street"? Don't know that one. "The Model Shop" as it was is no more -- there's a nice big "boulevard" (urban motorway) there instead.

The Model Material Shop (kind of a successor to The Model Shop) is very good indeed, and is handily placed right next to the Central Station (if you're coming by train). Turn left out of the station and follow your nose 1/4 mile to the corner of Marlbrough Crescent:

They don't just sell "materials", they're the best (and the only!) kit retailer left in town.

hth John

Reply to
John

In article , John writes

Have both the Beatties gone? I know the one by the Fire Station was much reduced on my last visit a few years ago, but the one in the shopping centre was still going. On the wrong side of the river at the Metro Centre the Beatties there had changed identity, but was still a kit retailer, while the little model shop in the Mediterranean Village had some interesting stuff.

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

No, both gone. Woolies is still there, but as we know their stock is completely random at any time.

Yes, last time I was there (year ago?) that was the sit. Beatties had become a mega model shop - can't remember name - which you are lucky to get out of with just your arms full, and without a full trolley too, whilst the little shop was still there, and "has interesting stuff" as you say, plus a good stock of standards.

Pity none of these places sell parallel lives, too, in which you can find time to make the bloody things!

John

Reply to
John

In article , John writes

Thanks for the information, I hope to hit Newcastle first Saturday in September for the "Border Reiver" wargames show, if I get back more than I spend on the bring-and-buy, or (even more unlikely) have some small change left in my pocket, I'll hit the Metro Centre on the way back out.

I'm trying to work out how I can bequeath my stash to my next incarnation... :)

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

Incorrect, as far as only retailer in town statement. Modelzone (opposite The Central Arcade) has a large selection of kits, as does New Century House (opposite the Centre for Life, near the Central Station).

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Its the same thing - they just moved when Blenhiem Street was redeveloped.

Incorrect. There are two other model kit retailers in Newcastle - Modelzone (opposite Central Arcade, next to Monument Metro), and there's a retailer opposite the Centre for Life (next to the Central Station).

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Yes, senior management destroyed Beatties.

Modelzone. They took over a few of Beatties' old locations and even employ several of the older staff too.

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

"I was unaware of that!"

This is extremely bad news Jimi. Now I have to go down town and check out these shops, and I know already how bad (=good) ModelZone is. Better leave the credit card at home.

John

Reply to
John Law

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies " I came, I saw, I bought loads of stuff" Thanks again Pete

Reply to
Me