My 1st air brush for plane models

It may rather depend on what you're painting. I still have my Badger

350 which has been bulletproof since 1984. I do mostly USN Postwar jets so tricky camo is easy. Hard-edge camo (Stukas, etc.) are just as easy. "Ambush" panzer schemes may be a trial fo ir, however. It's single action, external mix and plain easy to clean and keep running. That said, I found the need to do tight lines and more accurate control was needed. In steps the Badger Crescendo, doble action, internal mix, color cup as well as jar. Very nice control. You really can do a lot with a single action, inexpensive 350 and I still use it. It's just that as I advanced in my skills, my airbrushing did as well. Also, go with CO2 unless you already have a compressor...

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

You'll do fine,my problem,now,is setting up a spray booth of some kind,tried a furnace filter taped to a box,but the spray come right back out.

Reply to
teem

I was at Wal-Mart today and saw a kit from Testors for about $58.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that kit?

Sam

Reply to
sam

What's your budget? I'd clip a 40% OFF coupon from Hobby Lobby and spend your whole wad on an Iwata or Paasche. Remember you'll also need a compressor with a regulator and moisture trap. Catch those with the next bank roll and 40 off coupon. Sometimes you can get a great package deal from your local hobby shop...then there are many good sources on-line. Shop around, it is a big investment but one that will last a lifetime with proper care.

Reply to
Hawkeye

Testor's makes *lots* of different airbrush kits. Depending on which it is, that could either be a good price or a lousy price.

Reply to
Larry Farrell

Does Testors make *any* airbrushes, or are they rebadged Badgers or others?

Reply to
Willshak

Dunno what the budget is yet. I'd like to keep it less than $100 but I doubt even with my limited knowledge that thats sufficent. I will look into the Hooby Land angle for certain though. Thanks.

I don't go to my local hobby shop cause it stinks inside from tobacco smoke. I'd tell the guy but don't think he would understand.

Sam

Reply to
sam

Dunno next time I'm at Wal-Mart I will scope it out. Thanks

Sam

Reply to
sam

If you are planning on spending most of that $100 on an airbrush, dixieart.com sells several badger sets.

I have a crescendo (aka 175) set that I got for around $75. It's a great (for modeling) double action airbrush. The set includes fine, medium and large needles/tips.

For your first airbrush, you might consider a single action one. The Badger 200 series is again a great beginner modeling airbrush for under $50. You'll have to spend an extra $10 or $20 to get all the extra tips/needles if you want them. But, the medium one is ok to start with.

Back when I bought mine, dixieart offered free shipping for orders over $50.

Reply to
John McGrail