New to RESIGN modeling / paiting..

Hello group i hope i can post this here.. (have already posted a questin about airbrushes!)..

Anyways i've recieved my fist few resin kits, they are way cheap compared to what some of you guys build (these things are only 20 bucks).. and I have a basic question as far as I am now..

that is: Do i paint parts BEFORE i finally put them together or after?

Basically some of the parts dont fit perectly, i attribute this to being 20 dollars cheapo kits.. some of them need a.. liberal amount of putty to fill in peices, at one arm joint of the models, i had to fill in a huge amount to get the arm to stand straight the way it should..

what I've done so far is puttied the arm, let it dry then took it off.. yes this does leave a very tiny crack between the puttied area's, but i'm asuming i'm going to need to paint the under arm and side of the character before i re-attach the arm for good or else how do i get to those ultra fine area's?

Am i supposed to be attaching everything peramently before i paint anything? If so, wont this make the job very hard in area's where say, the arm comes down directly along the side of the character?'

IF I do paint the arm before attaching and the toroso, How will i keep from getting hairline cracks between the parts i just attached? (My asumption would be if i painted them AFTER assembly these small cracks would be filled with the paint.. but maybe not?)

These are 1/6th resin models, about 8 or 9 inches high when fully assembled so they arent going to be as precise and tiny as some of you experts works :) But i'd like advice as i'm basically a newbie on this and cant seem to find a definate answer on weather to paint first or asemble completely first..

Reply to
Electricity

I am in the same boat and have recently taken to relearning model building. I tried building one with doing all the painting afterwards and it was a bitch in places and really limited my ability to do a good job. I tried painting almost everything first and it was also a bitch as glue tends to no stick to paint and it can make paint soften up anf smear or change the finish. So I came to the conclusion that you do a little of both. I paint my sub assys as it best suits my ability to assemble it and paint it as I i need to. With figures I have started painting all the add on things like backpacks and guns seperately and using superglue to attach them to the figure after it is painted. As I find that super glue will hold painted parts good enough for figures and their assorted add ons. But for cars and tanks and such, I would paint it as it makes the best sense for that model. You will learn quickly what does and doesn't work.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

So do you have to attach arms seperately? if so, do you paint like under the armpits FIRST then attach? The problem i have with this is the crack/joints.. they wil be visible i'm sure..so some might say "Putty them" but i do that OVER the paint i've already done!?!?

so then i'm left with the delimma of putting them on first putting the cracks and just trying my best to paint the area's under and behind the arms.. which spells out a real bitch..

Reply to
Electricity

Almost all the figures I've done, I've assembled the arms and legs to the torso first, puttied, then painted.

The only exception was a two-figure vignette where the figures had a complicated intertwining; on that one I left one figure's arm off, painted the figures separately, intertwined them, attached the arm, then puttied (very carefully) and touched up the paint. It helped that I was using Milliput as a putty, since it's water-soluble and I could smooth the seam using a wet paintbrush. I also had done a lot of dry-fitting before painting to make sure there were no surprises during that final assembly (and to help get the shadows in the right places when painting).

Steve H

Electricity wrote:

Reply to
snh9728

I see, and when you put the arms and things on first, Did you have any problems getting to some of the tight area's? Like under armpits or under arms or down the side of the waist (if they have their arm down and making it hard to geto to that waist)..

Any tips for getting those area's? is it just alot of careful masking? (i've never done masking, so i'm not sure how hard thast gonne be too)..

Reply to
Electricity

All my figures are hand painted with oils. You can reach some pretty tight places with a pointed brush.

You know, it might be worth your while to pick up a couple issues of one of the garage kit magazines (I'm thinking Modeller's Resource, perhaps). Also, a Google search on "Garage kits" will turn up loads of sites on painting large-scale figures. One of the best sites, although moribund, is Gremlins in the Garage. Try starting here:

Most of the big-scale guys use airbrushes, but I have done nice work (if I say so myself) on some Jimmy Flintstone 1/12 scale stuff using oils and brushes.

Steve H

Electricity wrote:

Reply to
snh9728