ot airshows

been to a few on the UK, lots of yank AF etc, but wonderd if the shows in the US ever have RAF/RN static or in the air? If so what you yanks think to the planes etc?

Loved it when the US boycotted the French one this year.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

The Canadian Snowbirds are going to do a show at our local airport on 1 October - which is a stupid date as it's on a Wednesday. Kids are gong to be in school, adults are going to be at work...I can't think of anyone that's going to be available to attend...

Otherwise, it's always great to get a chance to see something from somewhere else.

Reply to
Rufus

Aside from the Snowbirds there have been a number of British aircraft on the show circuit of late.

Earlier this month the Reno Air Races had a Percival Mew Gull (IIRC), a Fairey Firefly that has to be the most beautiful restoration ever undertaken and a full scale Martin-Baker MB.5 that's supposed to fly next year.

Of course there are several modified Hawker Sea Furies racing and a show team with a Strikemaster and Hunter.

The fans seem to really appreciate the British contingent.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I won't comment on the Britishness of the Snowbirds, but I went to the CAF show at Midland and the Miramar show in 2000; the CAF show had one or two British aircraft, the most memorable being the Avro Shackleton: The commentary team didn't quite know what to make of it, but most of the spectators appreciated it. But then, since it did get down to 29F with the wind chill on the Sunday, I think many of the spectators were British or European enthusiasts also on tour. As the CAA still won't let Air Atlantique fly one in this country, it was very nice to see.

As for real British military types (rather than the historic stuff), because the Marine Corps Harriers were grounded at that point with engine problems, the Royal Navy sent a Sea Harrier to the Miramar show from a carrier in the Caribbean. I was initially disappointed once the recognition skills kicked in (having been to the Yeovilton airshow the year before), but the flying display it put on was very good, to the extent that he got a standing ovation at the end.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

must admit it seems the red arrows are liked everywhere but i think there poor, i dont watch adn set off home, seen the US with r/w/blue F16;s, they were good

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

I have seen plenty of RAF aircraft at airshows in the past. See a load of Tornados, a few Nimrods, even a VC-10 once. For warbirds I have seen S.E.5a, Swordfish, Lancaster, & Hunter at airshows.

Kurt Kunze

IPMS/USA Patriot New England Herpetological Society

Remove "clothes" to e-mail me

Reply to
Dendroaspis polylepis

And the T-birds had an accident a week ago last weekend. No one hurt but an F-16 was lost.

I have never seen the Red Arrows myself. :(

Kurt Kunze

IPMS/USA Patriot New England Herpetological Society

Remove "clothes" to e-mail me

Reply to
Dendroaspis polylepis

Quite a few years ago saw a Vulcan, a Jaguar and a Buccaneer (not all the same year) at the Edwards show in October- assume they were here for Red Flag or some such. Occasionally have seen a VC-10, but the highlight was seeing a Victor at about the last show at March before it became a reserve base. COOL!

Reply to
Jim Atkins

only had the chance to attend a few airshows...but I have a pic somewhere of me standing next to a nimrod got to build a model of that someday... Also saw one of the NATO E-3As that flew in from luxembourg to help out post

9/11
Reply to
Eyeball2002308

wasnt that engine failure

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

In article , JULIAN HALES writes

How's the Anglo-American Lightning restoration going? I know there's a website out there somewhere.

Does the Canadian Lanc make it over the border?

Reply to
John Halliwell

Seen a few Brit aircraft at US shows (Vulcan at Edwards, Fairey Firefly at Oshkosh,etc.) The best thing to do to see foreign aircraft is attend the Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in England. It's held every summer and is the best airshow I've ever attended. You get to see all the Euro stuff (Mirages, Hunters, Eurofighters, Rafales, etc.), along with East Bloc MiGs and Sukhois. I went back in '94 and it was definitely the coolest (military) show I've been to. I got to see all the stuff you never get to see in the States all in one place. Back then the Patrouille Suisse team was flying the Hawker Hunter in their last season with the Hunter. That was the coolest team display with non-US hardware that I've seen. The Red Arrows were there also and were very good. Also got to see the Czechs flying MiG-21, Sukhoi 22 and Mil-24 Hinds (they even popped a bunch of flares during the demos). French Mirage demo was great. Got close-up looks at Tu-20 Bear on static display next to B-52 BUFF in a cool "cold warriors" display. And to end it up the Battle of Britain flight with Spits, Hurricanes and a Lancaster flying around. About all the flying displays you can pack into one day. Awesone! Worth the cost of a transatlantic ticket by itself.

Reply to
Mark Conway

I've seen a couple of Tornados from the RAF and Luftwaffe a few times, saw a Nimrod once, and finally got to see the snowbirds this year.

Ken

---------------- Ken Lilly snipped-for-privacy@technologist.NOSPAM.com

*remove NOSPAM to reply* When diplomacy fails, send in the B-52's
Reply to
Ken

Not flying, but if you want to look over a Vulcan close up there is one at the Castle AFB Museum.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I believe it was the summer of 1977, when we were privileged to see the Vulcan, here in Austin, TX. It was an amazing sight, that low level 360 turn, and seeing that great white triangular underside, with the bay doors open. Oh, did I mention that it was the summer of 1977, and the memory of "Star Wars", and the opening scene with the Star Destroyer, was very fresh in our minds?....lol

Reply to
Greg Heilers