OT, but not completely: Trade your reference books and DVDs!

I saw this website plugged in our Metro (commuter freebie newspaper)
this week, I think as part of Earth Day etc. It's a site where you
can get rid of your unwanted books, CDs and DVDs, but instead of
throwing them away you can trade them. What you do is enter the ISBN
on the site, briefly describe the condition, and if someone has the
item on their "want" list you'll be notified of a possible trade. You
can also set up your own want list and you'll be notified the same way
if someone offers an item you want.
Seems like it would be a great idea to thin out the shelves of stuff
you haven't looked at in years and maybe find something for it in
return.

I have no connection to the company etc. except signing up.
Looks like it's US-only at least for the time being, most likely to
avoid complications with postage.
Reply to
MJ Rudy
MJ Rudy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:
I think most of the books I have to be rid of haven't got an ISBN. When did they first start assigning them?
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
on 4/25/2009 12:22 AM (ET) Mad-Modeller wrote the following:
1966.
willshak
bookmooch.com seems to be the most popular among the bibliophiles I've talked to. And I think it's international, but I've never used it.
Reply to
eyeball
According to bookmooch's website it says it's international, yes. Swaptree says it's working on making their site international too.
What I like is, unlike bookmooch, Swaptree lets you trade CDs, DVDs, and even video games as well, AND you can theoretically "mix and match", i.e. swap a book for a CD etc. It will also help with the shipping details, and you can buy the postage through them with a credit card.
I hope it takes off, seems like a great idea.
M. J. Rudy
MJ Rudy
willshak wrote in news:Pt6dnTFcm_Zhn27UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:
Yep, much older than that. Sorry, they're not aviation related.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:
May I ask what they are? I don't know about our fellow posters but my reading interests go all over the spectrum.
Reply to
eyeball
eyeball wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w31g2000prd.googlegroups.com:
I'll get you a list together.