OT: Can Anyone in the UK Recommend A Coupler Replacement for a Great Western 0-6-0 by Hornby?

It's my grandson's and his father lent it to somebody for a display at his church. It came back missing the hook part of the coupler at the
rear, or tender, end. I wouldn't know where to get a hook on this side of the pond if you can get just that piece. It's a super little piece, by the way.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Mad Modeller wrote the following:

You didn't mention what gauge. Does this site help? http://www.chuffers.com/Hornby_Wheels_and_Couplings/hornby_wheels_and_couplings.html
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 2/7/2011 9:41 AM, willshak wrote:> Mad Modeller wrote the following:

father lent it to somebody for a display

this
It might. I wish I could see what the listed items look like. I hate to order blind. The engine in question is OO.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
On 07/02/2011 04:45, Mad Modeller wrote:

Some guesswork needed here, but I'm sure there'll be a real railfan along in a minute to give a better answer.
You speak of "Great Western" " 0-6-0" and "tender". In Hornby terms this means (to me at least) just one engine - the "Dean Goods", in the current Hornby catalog as R.2064
http://www.hornby.com/customer-support/downloads/service-sheets,103,HAR.html
The loco doesn't seem to be in the current catalog, the hornby collectors site has a picture though: is this what you have?
http://www.modeltrains.net.au/hornby/item_details.asp?itemid 87
Spec sheet here
http://static.hornby.com/files/ss-244b-82.pdf
This is a tender-drive loco with the "ringfield" motor. The couplings have the code X8302, and are usually described as the Tri-ang tension-lock coupling.
I suspect you want the medium-width coupling from this sheet
http://www.hornby.com/search.html?pageNo=1&q=coupling
Yes, Hornby can supply you with the spare :) You can email them or call them and ask for clarification.
As an ancient of days I associate Hornby with the pre-merger days and the Hornby coupling was very different, like this
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 2/7/2011 11:50 AM, Alan Dicey wrote:

I should have said 0-6-0T. I didn't think of that until I was in bed last night. The 'tender', in this case, is a box at the rear of the engine which has a rectangular tank surrounding the boiler. The engine carries the road number of 2744. Interestingly enough, I don't see any sign of the steam chest and associated piston rods.

No, sorry.

We picked up a car off ebay that has one of those at one end and the hoop-and-hook at the other. Thanks Alan.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
On 08/02/2011 06:22, Mad Modeller wrote:

2744 nails it - the Great Western pannier tank. The coal compartment is usually called a bunker - a tender, in British parlance at least, is a separate truck with coal and water spaces.
http://www.modeltrains.net.au/hornby/item_details.asp?itemidi
Catalog number R.059
Service sheets http://www.modeltrains.net.au/hornby/service_sheet_details.asp?sheetidF http://www.modeltrains.net.au/hornby/service_sheet_details.asp?sheetid
The couplings are partly moulded onto the chassis, which I wasn't expecting. The hooks are listed separately, part S3192
The original locomotives had inside cylinders underneath the smokebox. Plenty of detail in the website below for a similar locomotive
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kevin.dare/main.html

That's the converter truck from the first days after Tri-ang had taken over Hornby. The idea was to allow both types to run together.
Thanks Alan! That's the little charmer. Now I know where to and what to order and the sheets give me the info I need to repair it without causing more damage. Good ol' rms!
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

I have several and you will probably have to go on a website (there are a bunch of UK ones to include Hornby itself) and see what a replacement runs.
Personally I like the Bachmann ones better as they use a fitting called an NEM pocket which permits fast replacement with any sort of coupler you want - I use either Kadee or other similar US types which pop into the pocket in a matter of seconds. But Hornby is old fashioned and you will have to order them.
I don't keep mine or could send you one.
Cookie Sewell
Thanks Cookie.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.