OT: DAMN, did I just buy another Guitar!!!

Ok...so there I was laying in the hospital, shopping in my mind for all of the things I'd buy when I got out and got the chance. I'd previously seen a picture of Jimmy Page on the Gibson webiste with a black EDS

1275...that's a 6/12 string double neck for the non-strummers out there. Thought came to me that MAYBE, someday down the road, if I lost ALL my sense, I'd call up the Gibson custom shop and have them bulid me one...seeing as they only come in red and white...

SO...here I am in Chi-town, recovering and shopping. Getting ready to leave the local Sam Ash store empty handed, when my Ma spots...a black and gold Gibson double neck...played it...HAD to buy it. I've only ever seen TWO black EDS 1275s in my life - Page's, and MINE. Mine is a '94 - Gibson's 100th Aniversary year - and whoever had it didn't touch it...it's never even been set up, and there isn't a mark on it. Had the serial number verified by Gibson...it's bona fide...I'm satisfied.

Reply to
Rufus

Do you have any concept of how totally and utterly *hated* you are?

Lucky sodding bastard.

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

Just trying to do my part...;)

Reply to
Rufus

You did not mention what scale this guitar is.

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Oh, silly me...1:1 scale...

Reply to
Rufus

Nothing like a fine musical instrument. I say this as I look at a Danny Gatton Tele I have :)

AM

Reply to
AM

I get the point and couldn't agree more

Reply to
Count DeMoney

A store I was in yesterday let me handle a custom three pickup Explorer that had been previously owned by Rick Neilson of Cheap Trick...was a bit out of my price point, but it was a nice one.

Besides, I already have a mint condition '79 Gibson Explorer, white with gold hardware, that I just found out is also a special construction of some sort...and I'm the original owner.

Reply to
Rufus

Ahhh... been down the Explorer, Flying V route. I have settled on a 1978 Les Paul, "The Paul" The tele just sits, and hardly gets played.

Interesting story. My brother called me at a party, (I has half gone already) and told me a friend needed $100 and was selling a tele. I just said buy it and didnt give it a second thought. Hence one of Danny Gattons guitars now resides with us.

AM

Reply to
AM

That's serendipitous...

Hmmmnnn...my very first guitar (which I still have) is a '78 Les Paul Custom, Black Beauty - my personal fav. And I'm in the process of looking for a current production wine red Deluxe right now. Looking like the only way I'll get one is to mail order it, but they're near the end of this run and starting to get scarce.

I'm settled in on Les Pauls, too. Got a few I'm looking/saving for. I actually bought my Explorer instead of a V because I discovered you can't sit down and play a Flying V. The Explorer shape fits my body quite nicely when siting, and my '79 really screams. But I've played it so little that it still has the factory strings on it...I've had collectors make offers on it, but I'm keeping it.

Reply to
Rufus

Consider a Pat Martino Custom! I have too many archtops, 335's ,and Les Pauls to boot. The Martino is one beautiful guitar for a multitude of uses!!!!!!!!!!!!! jim

Reply to
jimbol51

If you really want an unusual, and unusually FINELY handcrafted guitar, check out a New Orleans Guitar Co. Voodoo Custom - got to play one over at Naperville Music and MAN are they both beautiful, and play like a flat-out dream...even the knobs and pickup rings are hand carved, matching tone wood, and the neck is unusual in that it has a zero fret - the nut is just a guide.

Only axe I've ever handled that felt better than a Les Paul Custom right off the wall.

Reply to
Rufus

Double hated from this side of the Pacific - may all your spray jobs get runs and your decals silver (you lucky bastard) :-]

Reply to
Bob

Hi:

I am not in the market for my 6th guitar, but I finally decided to get my Ovation Model 1713 Classical Guitar fixed under the manufacturer's lifetime unlimited warranty for manufacturing defects. The bridge pegs sit in holes that were not drilled out deep enough. I removed some shivs under the bridge to lower the string height and when re-tightened, the pegs punched through the stiffener wood strip below the soundboard.

We will soon find out if Ovation honors that warranty.

So there the guitar sat for 10 years while I dithered thinking, "I'll get it fixed some day."

Meanwhile I was happy enough with my custom built Pimentel & Sons Indian Rosewood.

The Ovation is certainly a beautiful instrument, a rare model with a stunningly white soundboard. Here is an identical one except the pic shows a model with the black soundboard (also a looker).

Only two problems with this model guitar. 1) It is rather heavy with the carbon fiber body. 2) In the classical guitar playing position with the round back; a signature design of Ovation/Kaman (helicopter) guitars, it keeps sliding forward off my thigh. A strip of velcro should fix that problem.

3) It sounds weak as a pure acoustic, but plug it into a nice acoustic amplifier and it sounds terrific. Perfect for Greenwich Village coffee house gigs, except I live in Colorado.

Gibson, Taylor, Martin, Guild ...... I wouldn't throw out a nice dreadnaught. Great for singing anti-war songs. But given a choice, a nice Fleta or Hauser would be on my shopping list first. Well no, scratch that idea. What I lust after is a ....... Steinway 7 foot grand piano.

....../V

PS Has anyone played a RainSong guitar?

Reply to
Vess Irvine

No.... but I thought everyone might want to take a listen to this.

Be prepared to not want to pick up you guitar for a while tho....

AM

Reply to
AM

And he plays it on an ratty looking acoustic, to boot. Just like in aerial combat where the skill of the pilot is a greater factor than the quality of his (or her) aircraft, the skill of the player is more important than the name on the headstock or the beauty of the instrument. Hey, somebody write that down before I forget it. ;^)

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

Which is why I don't use the word "best" in describing aircraft anymore.

Reply to
Rufus