OT: Earthlink e-mail attack

Anyone else getting about 50 e-mails a day, all starting off something like this:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ VIRUS BLOCKER MESSAGE STATUS ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

  • Virus successfully cleaned out of attachment(s): No attachments are in this category.

If everyone's getting 'em, no sweat. Otherwise I've picked up some code that is drawing them to me and I need to root it out. All of the msgs are addressed to places other than my e-mail.

Are these legit Earthlink intercept notifications? If not, I can't see what good it's doing them if they're phishing or something.

TIA

WmB

Reply to
WmB
33 yesterday 18 today so far
Reply to
Tanker

None so far....and I usually get over 100 messages a day, in my EarthLink box.

Now, I *do* get quite a few phishing messages from a scam outfit, claiming to be from earthlink-support.net, or some other Earthlink-sounding name. They always want me to verify my account info, or else my account will be closed...lol.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

nothing here. is it actual to earthlink customers or from them?

I have not rcvd anything like that.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

The Soberg worm is attempting to spread itself posing as returned mail in an attachment. The only thing you can do is filter them out - your email address has been found in some other victims address book and added to the virus's database. Of course it doesn't hurt to be vigilant, and also in addition to your regular installed and kept-up-to-date anti-virus program, I'd recommend running an online scan from one of the free AV sites such as

Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan

McAfee Security - FreeScan
Symantec Security Check
Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner
I run one of these once a month, just to be on the safe side Chek

Reply to
Chek

I occasionally get similar messages. I just delete them unopened. I also get semi-frequent messages stating an e-mail I sent was returned undeliverable. After checking the first couple and realizing I did not send an e-mail to those addresses, I just delete these as well.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I get several of these as well. Most claim to be from eBay or PayPal. I always delete them.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

ago and the didn't know about them. I thought the sender was trying to get the receivers to open the attachment by saying it was clean. I wipe them out, also. Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

I've been getting the "virus deleted" e-mails supposedly from a yahoo.com address. And I guess as most of you do, I get the e-bay/Paypal phishing e-mails a couple of times a week.

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

Thanks for the links. I ran those in addition to my usual coverage and nothing was detected or reported removed after the scans - yet interestingly enough, today the e-mails have stopped. Maybe the good karma or scanning mojo ran the gremlins off.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Yeah that's the relief I was seeking too. Deleting a half dozen per day is one thing, fifty or better - now that's a problem that is hard to overlook.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

One more thing - would someone please bang this Julie chick that keeps e-mailing me and get her out of my hair ;-) I'm getting this one about five times a week.

***************************************************************** My name is Julie :) Sometimes I feel not in a mood alot of times... friend suggested to have pics and videos of me online like other girl do. I have this site for fun Site I put together needs free verification so minors don't view it and I won't get in trouble ;) Come check my pics and videos in there.. ******************************************************************

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Reply to
Bob Sasak

I just got one today. Kind of funny since I don't have a Paypal account. If they want to close it, let 'em.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

"Sometimes I feel not in a mood a lot of times..."

What makes her different than most women? :Þ

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller