OT: July 4th - 10 great things about America

Sorta like the American Indian "problem" of the "wild West "days resolution I would think PS: Anybody here building a Model?

-- Regards, Andy Aurora, Ontario Canada

Reply to
Andrew Irving

FWIW "Hind sight is always 20-20"! Remember that expression?? We know now that invasion of Australia was not intended, but in April-May of

1942 the Japanese were rolling South through the Pacific like the proverbial unstoppable object. With all of Australia's trained manpower out in the North African Desert fighting Rommel and most of her "untrained" manpower in Japanese P.O.W. pens after the Singapore debacle, Australia looked like the next item on Tojo's list. I had relatives who were in the 49th Fighter group that went into Darwin to set up a fighter defense. Since the North Coast was mostly protected by the Great Barrier Reef, the only place the Japanese could have brought in any quantity of supplies and men was Darwin, the only reasonable deep water port. My one relative who made it home talked for years about how big the saltwater crocodiles were around Darwin.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Scotty:

You might just need to take a closer look at some of the history of the U.S Government vs. The Native Americans; particularly where smallpox laden blankets were concerned. specifically the Mandan Indians.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Billy:

You might just need to take a closer look at *actual* history, not comic book history. The one verifiable episode of smallpox laden blankets was due to the BRITISH. Specifically, Amhearst.

Reply to
Scott Lowther

You didn't get much out of that link did you?

Reply to
cwcrofoot

not all of the whermacht is lilly white. but that is not meant to disparage the organization as a whole. i did some research, of the three known examples of ss men who refused to take part in atrocities, not one was punished. they were sent off to do other things. two of them were in einsatzgruppen.

Which of course speaks to Imperial Japan having been a sicker culture than Nazi Germany. The Germans had to get special groups of psychopaths together to carry out atrocities. The Japanese soldiery would happily do it themselves.

Also, there were elements in Germany that were actively, if rather quietly, opposed to the atrocities (Canaris, frex). Were there similar dissenters in Japan?

Reply to
Scott Lowther