OT: Measurement Question

help - the kids are asking questions I cannot answer. they want to know how big an acre is. I am trying to find a definition that will be something like

200x200 feet. that is easier to visualize for them and easier for me to translate. But I cannot find this measurement anywhere.....

and I'll be sure to come back to you guys for some birds and bees questions..... yeah, right.

thx - Craig

Reply to
crw59
1/8th of a mile by 1/80th of a mile which is to say 66 feet by 660 feet 640 acres in a sq mile Steve
Reply to
Steve Vernon

on 3/25/2008 9:23 PM snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net said the following:

willshak

According to

= 43,560 square feet = 4,840 square yards = 160 square rods = 1/640 square mile (that is, 0.001 562 5 sq. mile) is about 0.404 687 3 hectare

or what would be about 208 x 208 so your original guess was close enough for government work.

Cookie Sewell

PS try Google, works pretty well all the time on basic stuff.

Reply to
AMPSOne

thx !!! I've tried but must have missed something.......( I do work for the government, so cut me a little slack......:-)

Craig

Reply to
aikidogal

That visualization with the football field worked for me. Goal line to the opposite ten-yard line time the full width of the field.

Reply to
The Old Man