[OT] Politically Correct Season's Greetings

Does it really matter whether the Saviour was born on December 25, or four years later on April 15? For the vasyt majority of those who care, the primary issue is that the birth be celebrated and that the celebration entails all that they acclaim as important to their faith that Christ was the saviour. OTOH, it is the business of scholars to investigate the limits of existing knowledge, which includes how things might really have been around the time of the birth of Christ. Accepting both concepts at the same time is no more inconsistent than believing in the existence of the Christian god while acknowledging the accuracy of the theory of evolution.

I certainly believe in the magic of the holiday, because I've seen many good things come of it. And, like anything humans touch, there's a downside too, what with over-commercialization, neighbors becoming angry at each others' garish Christmas light displays, and chip-on-shoulder adherents of other (or no) belief systems stirring up resentment that so many people might actually enjoy believing in something that they don't. Anymore, I just smile at people so benighted they can't see the upside of a year-end festival with an underlying message of generosity and caring. To write it off on the basis of those whose behavior specifically denies the underlying message is to send the baby wailing down the drain with the filth.

There's no reason for anyone to celebrate Christmas if they don't want to, whether for religious reasons or as a matter of taste. There's also no reason to denigrate the holiday. If negativism is in any way justified, it ought to be focused on those who prevert the underlying message.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I've got a pile of ancestors on both sides (Jews on the one hand, and Italians fleeing fascism on the other) that would not describe that attitude as mild for the times. Ford hated Jews for being Jews, and went to some length to propagate that hate publicly. The fact that he didn't carry it so far as to build concentration camps in Michigan to facilitate murdering Jews is not a mitigating factor.

I too am thankful that antisemitism has declined in acceptance world-wide, but it's not gone. I still occasionally encounter people in Liberal California that think Jews are inherently evil. This suggests that there are a lot of such people spread out across North America and Europe, where the attitude is in the most disrepute. I couldn't even begin to guess how many haters of Jews there are in the rest of the world, but I'll bet you they're out there in pretty large numbers.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

AMEN!!! Live and let live. Pray or don't pray. Believe or don't believe. Watch the TV show or change the channel/turn off. If I don't like your company's politics/political contributions, I am free to refuse to buy your company's products and to buy from one more acceptable to my way of thinking.

It seems like the country's gone nuts in recent years. Everyone is a victim and everyone is offended. As I grew up, I was taugh: That the decisions you make are your responsibility for good or bad. Make good ones and reap the benefits; make bad ones and pay the price. That the govenrnment doesn't owe me (or anyone else) anything. That you should mind your own buisness; most of use have a hard enough time just running our own lives so we shouldn't meddle in someone else's.

And finally, if a country (or "non-state actor") is stupid enough to attack the United States then they also will pay the price of a bad decision. Until we rebuild their economy. (Does anyone else remember the movie, "The Mouse That Roared"?)

Come on people. How about we all make a resolution for the new year to act like adultst and not like fourth grade children? (No offense to the fourth graders.)

Ed No matter how high or great the throne, What sits on it T'is the same as your own.

Reply to
RobbelothE

And I'm happy to have passed that one along to my kids, one of whom used to live in the Greater Northeast and my cousin in Mary-land who was born in Philly.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I've always been curious. Do devout skeptics hold services? Which day of the week? Do you gather together or are you too skeptical of each other's faith?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

now taking my tongue from against my inner cheek

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

he was influential, don't know if he was that good.

I always liked the dislexic agnostic.

Didn't know f there was a dog and ddn't care.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Or the dislexic Devil worshipper who sold his soul to Santa...

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Well said, Ed.

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

;~).

Oh, no! I used the despised emoticon! Someone save me from myself! ;~p

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

ROTFLMAO!

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

You like it? It's yours!

RobG