OT: Read Gore's Speech

Really?

Scott G. Welch

Reply to
OSWELCH

To be fair, I should point out my mistake in describing Gerry Adams as a Nobel Peace Prize winner. Although he was a contender, John Hume and David Trimble were the actual winners for their *achievements* in brokering the Northern Ireland peace deal.

Scott G. Welch

Reply to
OSWELCH

Yep, that's another one.

But Bill, as Iowa Tom has pointed out, what we think is irrelevant here. ;-p

Scott G. Welch

Reply to
OSWELCH

Hi Kurt:

I am not sure what to do. I feel an obligation to join the political fray and work against Bush re-election. I really, really, think the country is in peril with our current leadership.

I know RMS but not other outlets for such activity. Until another path shows itself :(I think eventually I will figure out where to spend my energy), you are the "lab rats" of my political experiments. Sorry.

So far I have discovered that a lot of juveniles inhabit this modeling cyber space, some whom should be old enough to know better how to behave.

Yes, the Van Cliburn stuff is hard, really hard, much harder then building models. And not too popular anymore. Few people have interest in classical music. I started at age 45 after a mountain climbing accident, as physical therapy to get strength back in my tendon torn wrist. It worked. Now I can open any pickle jar.

Am working on some Beethoven Bagatelles right now. Cute little pieces. Bagatelle means "sweet little nothing" according to Beethoven. That is OK for now, the big sonatas I start on next year.

Hey Bush and I have something in common. He got sober and born-again at 40, I got music at 45. We are both late starters.

We both have MBSs. Our Moms grew up in neighboring towns at the same time. We are both Ivy. We both speny summers in Maine when kids. We both at one time were in the oil biz in Texas. Big difference there is that I found gold in Texas software. He never found any oil. Next time, if we must have a Texas oil tycoon as Pres., let's hope it is one who has actual hit a gusher. As far as I can tell, for Bush, it was one dry hole after another. He doesn't say much about Harkin Energy, so it is hard to tell how effective he was as a wildcatter.

I forgive him for failing at Harkin. I know how elusive business success can be. I too have ups and downs.

..../VS.

Reply to
Vess Irvine

Scott:

One reason to consider Gore as an elder statesman is he gave a good speech last week. Did you read it? If you had, you would know that he is right on the money on the civil liberties issues.

I am a bit tired about that "invent the Internet" cheap shot. He didn't invent it, we know that, I did. But it bothers me not that he takes credit for my accomplishment.

.../V

Correction. No, I did not invent the Internet. But it seemed like a funny thing to say. I said it to make fun of how unimportant the "invent Internet" jab is regarding Al Gore.

I was using e-mail back in 1974. At Scientific Timesharing we called it mailbox. Back them we discovered early that bad manners would likely occur when people are given e-mail. Someone would quit in a huff and flame all 250 of us upon exiting. At the time we thought that behavoir was exceptional. Now we know that it is quite normal human behavoir.

P.S. Fuuny thought. If George Bush had called off the invasion of Iraq, he too might have been a candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize. That would have been great; I would have gladly traded a cheapening of the Prize in return for no war.

Reply to
Vess Irvine

You do miss one point. Arafat too is an "elder statesman" in the eyes of many. I know that can be hard to swallow, but there it is.

So I think a Nobel Peace Prize is still a good indicator of who is, and who is not, and elder statesman.

......../V

Reply to
Vess Irvine

I live at 8,000 feet altutude. While you melt, we are cool and dry. .../V

P.S. And may I add, your Pres. thinks global warming is bogus. Something to think on during the heat waves next summer.

Reply to
Vess Irvine

I accept your scorn so that others can see what a pinhead you are ...../V

Reply to
Vess Irvine

Vess repeatedly sends email diatribes, then refuses to engage in a discussion. That's why I blocked him.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

this is like one long line of gibberish...my only complaint being how he gets around my blocks...

4 more years! F-21 is done,next project is the Revell Yak-38 with a terrible fit...
Reply to
Eyeball2002308

It is hard to fathom why people don't like Mr. Gore. He seems like quite a reasonable fellow to me. Yes you can point to his lack-luster debating skills. Yes he makes occasional gaffs. He doesn't appear to have a "killer" instinct. If he did, he would have nailed Bush in 2000 with speeches like last week.

The problem with Gore is that he is too much of a gentleman. So why do you hate him so much? Or is hate really fear that you have been snookered by Bush but are reluctant to admit it?

That must be it, because no other reason is obvious for such hate. You are afraid that Gore, since he has finally found his voice, is going to really expose the failures of the last three years. And that people will listen to him and agree with him and it will prove that Bush is nothing but a another one term President.

To answer more directly your point that I am lazy. You know my objective is not to win debates and prove points to people who attack me personally with references to stupid monkeys. Or you should know that by now.

My objective is Bush defeat in 2004. Nothing more, nothing less. To achieve this goal, I am willing to jump feet first into a place like RMS, known widely as a haven of conservatisim, and take your heat.

I hope to change your fear, from fear of being thought wrong when you supported Bush in 2004, to fear of what Bush might do to us with another four years in office.

It would be so much easier to bleat and moan about current events at liberal forums. Unfortunately, that is less likely to have positive results; preaching to the choir so to speak. No, it is much better to take the fight into this particular newsgroup where monkey lovers lurk.

Also, many non-Americans like this newsgroup. I am at a loss to explain the events of the last year to this audience. I am hoping we can clean the slate in 2004 and reapproach the world, not as conquerers, but as partners.

Final point. I think Gore's speech is more then just party-bashing. I think Mr. Gore is truly alarmed at the erosion of civil liberties. I think he thinks this, because I think it too. I am alarmed as much as him.

But if you are right, and it is only party-bashing, then it is a heck of a good start to the campaign year.

...../V

Reply to
Vess Irvine

And Naval Academy graduate and submarine driver, lest you forget. Have you ever been 500 feet below the surface of the ocean, oh brave one? I haven't either. Has Bush ever flown a F-106?. Did he solo? Jury is still out on that one, and Bush isn't talking.

I think the thing to do is sit Mr. Bush down in front of Microsoft Flight Simulator, in a Cessna 150, and see how long he stays in the air.

He can't claim rustiness. He just checked out in a S-3B Viking. He looked pretty spiffy in that flight suit.

.../V

P.S. I was a nuclear engineer for the Navy, crawled all around the Nautilus. But never got a ride out to sea. One thing I do know, nuke sub drivers are not dummies.

Reply to
Vess Irvine

We smoke purple mountain majesty.... In case you fail to grasp that comment, it is a phrase from "America the Beautiful." .../V

Reply to
Vess Irvine

Mr Peanut wasn't a submarine driver. He had nuke power under his belt. And yes, President Bush has flown the "F-102" solo. And algore banged away on a typewriter behind the lines. Next question.

Well now, he'll stay in the air longer than you and your little buddy algore.

Glad you liberals like it. Does it get you excited?

Whooop-deeee-do!!!!!!! So far, we're not impressed by your postings. Better give up while you're behind.

Reply to
Dennis

As opposed to owing their shirt to Halliburton, Bechtel, big Pharma, etc?

Although I don't regard Shrub as a foreign policy genius, toadying up to Israel and Saudi Arabia is no mean feat. Kim M

Operation Iraqi Pork Barrel- Where is my no-bid contract?

Reply to
Royabulgaf

I thought his unit flew 102s? Kim M Operation American Freedom-Where is our regime change?

Reply to
Royabulgaf

How ya doing, Rush? You've been out about a week. You get a connection yet?

Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

You put your bet down on the wrong horse.....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Hi Mark:

Legitimate worry, the wear and tear on our Army and National Guard. Two more helicopters collide today in Iraq. Not a single day passes without horrendous news. Italy gets hammered just for trying to help out.

Some here believe the media is filtering out the "good news" from Iraq. Talk about wishful thinking. That was three weeks ago; when the spin from Washington gave us that line?

Do you recall all the talk last Spring that Iran or Syria was next? Rumsfeld says to Syria, "close your borders or else." That moment was the sacriest of all in the last tumultuous year. I really thought that was Bush's plan. To invade Syria, then Iran.

Why did I think that? Because of the same sentiment you expressed. I cannot figure Bush out nor be confident what his trigger point may be.

Well fortunately that worry appears to have lessened. My guess is we are safe from that at least through the 2004 election

Has anyone figured out the meaning of a one year timetable to Iraq self governemt? This is such recent news that I haven't quite grasped the meaning. Is Bush giving up? Throwing the towel? Or is it a smart plan? Is it a step that might help get some UN or NATO support?

I know I an getting side tracked from the civil liberties problems and Al Gore. But Iraq is certainly a component of the whole Bush controversy, a big component.

..../V

Reply to
Vess Irvine