OT: relevant to US readers-AH Shoot! The Captain's Gone

Bill Keeshan aka Capt Kangaroo passed away. First Mr. Rogers, now the Captain. Damn I'm getting old!

Oxmoron1

Reply to
OXMORON1

It's of interest to us older Canadians, as well.

Mr, Keeshan was one of the last of the old guard - he, Fred Rogers, Jim Henson, and their contemporaries practically defined young childrens' programming back in the day. With the exception of "Sesame Street", those shows are gone now, too...

Now I'm thinking that a diorama of a furnished-but-empty room dedicated to these fine people would be a good project. Let's see... a rocking-horse for the Captain, a coatrack with a sweater for Mr. Rogers,... hmmmmm... what else?

Reply to
Rob Kelk

For us Chicago viewers you can add Ray Rayner and Fraiser Thomas to the list of definative childhood viewing personalities as well...not sure of their status myself, though...

Reply to
Rufus

J.P. Patches in Seattle

Reply to
Chris

Sad. I think the good Captain's first name was Bob.

WmB

WmB

There was a kid's show in the SF Bay Area back in the 50's hosted by a gentleman who did a space pilot gig. Capt.Satellite, IIRC.

I met him in the 70's and discovered that he had been a blimp pilot during WWII.

Then there was Sacramento's Capt.Sacto. Both of these guys had occasional scale modeling segments.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Or Brakeman Bill (the train guy) and Crazy Donkey.

Wasn't Capt Kangaroo from the Seattle area too?

Chris wrote:

Reply to
Grandpa

They've gone to join Buffalo Bob Smith and Jim Henson. They will be missed. -- John ___ __[xxx]__ (o - ) --------o00o--(_)--o00o-------

The Old Timer

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m23.aol.com, OXMORON1 at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 1/23/04 1:16 PM:

Make that Bob Keshan.

Before he was Capt. Kangaroo he was Clarabelle the Clowen on the old Hody Doody Show. Before that a WWII vet.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

dresser with a wallet and cash sticking out for soupy sales? bozo's flatulence?(the original frank avaruche bozo) buffaloe bob's 15 year old bride?

I remember the old Colgate Fluride MFP jingle that used to be played during the show. Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

Clarabelle's box with horn...

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

How about the Ipana jingle with Bucky Beaver?

Bill Banaszak, MFE also a one-time bucky...

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I never watched the Captain myself. I think I was already in school when he came on but I can't think of a better way to be remembered by those of us still toiling through the mortal veil.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I said I was getting olod Wm, the memory is failing -0

MFE Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

Believe it or not, Bob Keeshan was the commencement speaker at my college graduation.

Central Michigan University, Class of 1984.

IIRC, He was a PhD in eduction.

Regards,

Jay In AZ

Reply to
Jay Beckman

Kermit sitting on a stuffed chair, all by himself.

The Old Timer

here you go! I loved that show. the space ship was hung by a string. kids used to come on and get to turn the dials and knobs, etc to avoid asteroids, etc.....

Wheeee!

Craig

Reply to
Craig

There was also Fireman Frank in the SF Bay Area.

What was the name of the guy with the puppets, a dog and a horse, that eventually owned KTVU? He was still using them in spots ten years ago.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

that was Pat McCormick. he did Charlie and Company/Friends. It was some drooling bulldog puppet. He did the weather for Channel 2 and retired a few years back.

He also did Dialing for Dollars. How many times did you force yourself to sit thru the awful movies hoping your phone number was "10 from the bottom."

Craig

Reply to
Craig