OT: Search engines - anything better than Google?

Probably not, but sometimes there's a "best kept secret" out there that people in the know get good mileage from. More and more Google is too much fluff and chatter and not enough search results.

Always on the look out for model galleries and military references.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I use ixquick

It returns more relevant info faster. I still use Google if I want a firehose of information (i.e. a lot of obscure references). But ixquick works great if you need good info fast.

Martin

Reply to
centennialofflight

That works. A helluva lot less cluttered than Google and I suspect most of the top hits I got didn't pay or code their way up there either.

THX,

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Faster? I just tried 3 different searches and in each case they took

8-11 sec> I use ixquick
John DeBoo

I thought it was just this old backup PC I'm on. Noticeably slower, but a lot less chaff.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I should clarify what I meant when I said ixquick was faster than Google. The ixquick search is a little slower than Google, but since it returns fewer, but more relevant hits, I spend a lot less time sorting through what the search returns. The result is that I find what I'm looking for "faster".

;^)

Martin

Reply to
centennialofflight

Probably not "better" than Google, but very interesting. Try this:

This creates a visual map reference based on your search, that shows how things are inter-related. Very interesting. Click on "next map" to peel back the onion skin...

--- Tontoni

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Have you looked at the blurb they offer on how best to use google, and to optimize your search strategy? Most users have never done this. Click the "about google" on their home page, then on the page that occurs, click "help and how to use google". If you read the first few links you will be a better google user than 95% of those who use google.

Also, try the advanced search option of google. Awesome in its flexibility.

Reply to
Don Stauffer