OT: What are we doing in Najaf?

Kinda reminds me of the old saying I invented just now:

"It is not easy acting like a good Samaritan when you are a Samaritan in a foreign land where no Samaritan is welcome."

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

Uh ... "Samaritan" as in the ethnic group that is, not as in "Good Samaritan" which would imply that no good deed would be welcome ...

Except for the part about acting like a Good Samaritan, which indeed is about an ethnic Samaritan acting like a Good Samaritan ...

Everybody understand what I just wrote? Good!

(My head hurts ... )

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

Reminds me of another old saying; "No good deed goes unpunished". Still, in the case in question; since the saudi's were the ones who were funding all these religious fanatics Madrasas or religious schools which taught nothing practical, just hate and discontent, the gift was probably viewed as pure hypocrisy, and rightly so.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yup. Gotta agree with that.

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

Assuming there would be elections in 2009.....Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Actually I ~think~ that it would be 2008, and as said, if at all.....

The Old Timer

As in, if we have a country left?

Bill Banaszak

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

No. Have you considered a career in political speechwriting? You have a natural gift for it.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Here, here!!

Bill Banaszak

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Oh come on, Kim!

The president isn't about to postpone the election.

Why, he's bringing thousands of troops wasting away in Germany, Japan, Korea, etc. To make sure that the elections are safe.

God, those two acts are a paranoiac's dream.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Yeah, right. All those troops are going to be back in CONUS before November.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I'll bet you $1000 right now that there won't be a presidential election in 2009....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Now, Now, Al! That's taking advantage of the retarded!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Oh, verrry funny ... :o)

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

No. That would be the inauguration of 2009. The election will have been held in November of 2008.

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Might as well. They aren't really needed in Germany or Japan. They aren't doing all that much good in Korea either except as a tripwire. Besides, if they were pulled out of Korea, and there was one of those nasty old nuclear exchanges on the continent, they wouldn't be there to be incinerated. Then they would be available to go in afterwards to sweep up the mess.

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Truth be told, this should have been done 10 years ago. I got to take off my hat to Shrub for this one. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Was that your jaw hitting the floor?

The Old Timer

Actually, I fell out of my chair. Ouch! ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski