ot whats the differance?

Reading CNN about a cop who got done for flogging hot items.

Willis said he decided on jail time rather than prison because Estrella had no prior record and didn't commit his crimes under the color of authority.

I thought jail was the same as prison.

ta

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

"Jail" means like a county jail, where people serve time for misdemeanors (or awaiting trial on more serious charges). "Prison" means the state penitentiary, where felons go. Also, jail terms are usually one year or less.

Reply to
Alexander Arnakis

Even though a fellow Brit, I think I can answer this one. Jail is a county or local holding centre - a bit like the cells at the local nick here. Prison is the long term stay institution, probably dangerous for ex cops. Others, as they say, may know more.

Chek Change' boos' to 'bos' in address to email directly

Reply to
Chek

thanks now makes sense