Picking a Paasche airbrush - F or H??

Hey, all...

I'm looking to get a basic airbrush. In truth, it's only for one task (some controlled application of paint to my car wheels), although I expect I could see other uses for it afterwards, but I'm not convinced I need anything at all high-falutin'.

I'm going to use a can for this particular task, rather than investing in a pump.

I'm looking at the Paasche F-kit and the H-kit. Both appear to have roughly the same bits in the kits (!!), but I'm curious if there's a marked difference in quality which would justify the extra $20 on the price tag -

All opinions welcome!

BD

Reply to
robert.drea

Not familiar with the F. I have an H and a VL (double action). Love them both. For basic work as you describe, the H will do nicely. I use it probalby 75% of the time. Easy to clean and fairly rugged.

John Alger IPMS 10906 Charlotte Scale Modelers

Reply to
John

if that's all your doing, the badger's are quite good. the

350 has loys of functionality and is easy to use. many options at nice prices.

I have been using an H for along time. I have gotten numerous awards with my models. I am rough on my airbrush and it keeps working. I do small detail with the number 5 head but I would use the number 3 head. I would contact Bear in California. They have a good price on the H kit. Two bottles 3 heads hose and attachments.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

try here

Edwierd Kohoooooot

If you are going to use air cans then be sure to keep the can in a BUCKET OF WATER as you are spraying. This will minimize the water condensation and the chances of "spitting" on your project. I learned this the hard way a long time ago. Else invest in a water trap for your rig.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Wonder why airbrush makers don't include one of those traps?.

Reply to
teem

If it is only for one application and you don't want to spend too much $$$$, go to Harbor Freight Tools (google them) and get their "El Cheapo" model for $4.95. Brings the airbrush, two bottles, a 6 foot hose and some other nitnoy stuff. I have one that I use exclusively for spraying primers.

Ray Aust> Hey, all...

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Because it is a compressor accessory, along with the regulator. I got both at Lowes.

Reply to
Willshak

it's a knock off off the badger 350. they hold up well but if you break it, so what? some rattle cans cost more.

Sounds about right to me... I'll have a look!

Reply to
BD

OK, it's been over two weeks, what airbrush did you finally wind up getting? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Oh - *heh heh* - ummm... I haven't done it yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting that Harbor Freight Tools one. It is as ridiculously cheap as was suggested, and given that this is kind of an experiment, the cheaper the better.

I know - it's kind of dropped down on the priority list. Oh well... ;)

Reply to
BD

A tip:

I had REALLY bad experience with a can of Badgers "Propel" a few years ago. They put MUSTARD OIL in the can now! This evil toxic stuff sprayed out all over the model and onto me! It burned like hell!

All I can say is that this disaster actually happened. I hadn't used an air can in years and was doing a quick project while I was out of town. I understand that this stupidity is the result of kids "huffing" the this stuff. What? I mean--Jeez.

It's impossible for kids to buy the paint and glue where I live. Just one more nail in the coffin of plastic modeling, I guess. It's enough to make me want to go sniff some glue...

I wouldn't touch one of those air cans again! If I were doing airpainting now, I'd go with a CO2 tank.

Reply to
dancho

The plan was to get the brush, and buy a can of 'generic' propellant (likely CO2, but I admit am in kindergarten here) - I'd planned to buy that from a local hobby shop, assuming a generic interface (collar) between the two. I doubt I could get propellant shipped across the border anyway (I'm in Canada).

Reply to
BD