R.S.Johnson's P-47D-5-RE 'Lucky'

Hello, all

I'm reading "Thunderbolt!" by Robert Johnson and Martin Caidin's corny writing has inspired me to build one of Bob Johnson's 'Lucky's. It's 28461 with the white nose, I'm using Super Scale decal sheet 72-641, but I have a couple of questions:

-Is the "finger" on both sides of the nose? (sheet provides 2, but doesn't illustrate the finger on the other Johnson airplane 276234)

-did this machine have the wing pylons?

which propellor? (sheet provides HS logos, I would have thought Curtiss, but can't find photo evidence)

Any advice on this machine is appreciated.

Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Gourlie

6234 was "Double Lucky" wasn't it? I think the fingers were intended for both sides of the nose of 8461 although I can't find photo evidence of the starboard side.

The only photo I've got is cropped (Osprey A/C of the Aces #24) and shows neither the prop hub nor the outer wing. The illustration shows a Curtiss prop and no pylons which is how most D-5's looked; I'd do it that way unless someone else has more info...

hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Thanks for the response, Keeper

It may have been Double Lucky, I've been running into conflicting information on the number of victories achieved with this airplane, type and placement of insignia, etc

I've since found a couple of photos on

, and it looks like a Curtiss prop and no wing pylons. Interestingly, I can't make out any victory markings or 'finger' on either side(don't know the date of the pics). It also looks like the insignia has the red surround, which is ok as it adds a dash of colour.

It seems that aircraft had their markings upgraded or changed on a fairly regular basis, so unless I find out otherwise, I'm going with:

-Curtiss prop

-no wing pylons

-'finger' on both sides of cowl

-6 victory markings port side

-5 position insignia with red surround

It's possible (probable?) that this particular combo will have conflicting timelines, but what the heck. Cover me, I'm going in!

Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Gourlie