Re: Hasegaw 1/48 F/A-18F - Quick Look.

Can you comment on the pylons included someone mentioned they were short ?

regards,

Well...I got one, and there are positives and negatives as usual. But I > think the positives take the day on balance... > > On the plus side: > > 1) Nice very fine panel lines - the usual Hasegawa quality. > > 2) Well shaped external tanks. > > 3) Centerline pylon is properly shaped (wasn't on the 1/72 kit). > > 4) The side vents on the intakes are open - no need to get the file out. > > 5) The kit seats actually don't look too bad. > > 6) Full length intake trunks. > > 7) Not quite the latest config, but an accurate representation of the ECS > heat exchanger exhausts as of initial FRP, with flow fences. > > 8) ECS Aux Air scoops corrected from the 1/72 kit. Properly done now. > > 9) LEX Vents still there; in the closed position - as they should be. (The > builder should probably scribe the line a bit deeper, though.) > > 10) Control stick stub for aft cockpit. > > 11) Separate flying surfaces. (and now I see why it looked like there > were two sets of tails included...) > > 12) Contrary to my previous opinion, the photo pamplet is nicely done - > and includes a nice shot of the paint on the lower intake lip. > > > On the NEGATIVE side: > > 1) The kit's biggest flaw - the engine nozzles are nearly the same > size/diameter as the ones in my Hasegawa baby-Hornet kits. This is > WRONG...the F-414 is a noticably larger diameter engine than the F-404, so > this would imply that the contour of the whole aft end of the kit is a bit > off. Noticeable?..probably, if you park this kit next to an A-D kit and > know what you're looking at. NOTE: anyone planning a 1/32 E/F kit...take > notes. And better measurements... > > 2) The kit's second biggest flaw. While the main gear seem to be nicely > represented, with the proper planing links for E/F gear vice A-D ones, the > main wheels are the same or near the same size as in my D kit. Wrong - > Super Hornet main wheels are larger. Noticeably so when sitting side by > side with an A-D wheel assembly. Another problem with the mains is that > there is too much tire and not enough hub - readily apparent from looking > at the included pictures. (The nose wheels are probably undersized as > well, but I didn't check.) The main gear shock absorbers are a bit > strange looking as well...not to mention that I got METAL gear in my C and > D kits for the same price... > > 3) Strange raised square shape under the L/H canopy sill. Later jets have > a stowable grab handle here, but it's flush when stowed (and it's visible > in the pictures). Should be an engraved detail...no detail for the handle > in any event - just the raised square. > > 4) No option for alternate aft cockpit configurations - even though the > VFA-103 jet in the picture book is of the later configuration with the > UFCD located on top of the (newer) glareshield, only the original LRIP > missionized configuration - which is the way the VFA-102 jets in the > photos are configured - is provided in the kit parts. > > 5) ALE-50 magazine not represented...funny, as it's nicely done on the > 1/72 kit. > > 6) Shape of the forward cockpit glareshield - much better done on the D > kit. > > 7) Erosion boots not represented on External Tanks. > > 8) No optional parts for post Phase II Upgrade ECS Heat Exchanger > exhausts. > > 9) Size...I dunno. Maybe I spend too much time on the flightline, or it's > just the way the two kits look in the box, but I don't get the impression > of the difference in size that I get when a C and an F are parked next to > each other in real life...if you have ever have walked up to a Super > Hornet the first thing that grabs you is it's size. I don't get that > feeling looking at the two kits side by side...the boxes are the same > size...maybe once the kits are built. > > SO...am I pleased? Overall, yes...but I'd have to say that this kit is > certainly not as good as Hasegawa's offerings for F/A-18A-D jets - these > kits remain the best Hornets kits out there in 1/48, IMO. > > Will I buy Hasegawa's E kit? Probably not...I'm a two-seat fan these days > anyway. > > That's it for now. Bring on the aftermarket... > > -- > - Rufus
Reply to
tony

Didn't look that close - but I do plan to get my scale ruler out. I'll take a look.

One thing I did notice about the pylons is that some of the features are a bit over-done and blocky. The bumps for the SHOLS hook covers are a bit large, as are the fairings ahead of the sway braces ahead of the BRU-32's in each pylon. I also need to take a closer look at the fitment to see if they got the toe/roll right. They should be toed outward fou degrees, and the outboards should be both toed and rolled out four degrees.

BTW - saw a nice build-up in progress over on HyperScale. Hate to add to the workload, but for those of you intending to fold the wings on your Super Hornet, the ailerons should be drooped as well as the flaps if you are also building with the flaps lowered. For a baby Hornet, it is required to fair the ailerons in order to fold the wings - so you will see them with the inboard flaps down and the ailerons flush. Not so on a Super - you will see them parked with the wings folded, inboard flaps down, and the ailerons toed outward.

Check your references, and keep that razor saw handy.

Reply to
Rufus

Thanks

Reply to
tony

Took a look, and yes - they do look odd in the box, but that may just be an illusion generated by the box. I wanted to compare them to the

3-view in my D&S on the F/A-18E/F...but there isn't a 3-view in that book! One of many complaints I hold against it...it's not one of thier best.

But - something I did notice in there were some shots of jets with wings folded which seem to contradict what I said previously about the aileron position. What I've reasoned out is that these pics are all of carrier ops and all the jets have/had engines running and hyds up when the wings were folded.

Where I see them, we usually fold the wings on ground power, so the ailerons are always drooped when the wings are folded. I know for a fact that you have to manually push the ailerons flush to fold the wings on ground power for an A-D, and we don't for E/F.

SOOO...put 'em where you want 'em. Airplane trivia...gotta love it...

Reply to
Rufus