Re: Keeping Models on Wood Bases Clean ??

"Mangry"

carefully cut the following from his sprue and glued it together:

Hello All, > > A lot of folks who build armor subjects mount them on a stained wood plaque for > displaying. How do you keep your models dust free ? Thanks > > > Mangry

Acrylic plastic fish breeding tanks. look in your local aquarium store. They start around 8x10 inches and seven inches deep. They work on up to bigger than any diorama base I've ever seen. If I have a visitors round to the house I can whip the covers off 'em and put 'em back on later. They are pretty cheap, and are quite clear enough. The rest of my collection are in cardboard boxes (next to the stack of unbuilts) and I rotate them every now and then. It saves me some grief from my wife about dusty models in the work room I can tell you :-)

Treadhead

"Do not quench your inspiration and your imagination. Do not become the slave of your model" - Vincent Van Gogh Howard Freeman IPMS(UK) 9169 snipped-for-privacy@afvs.co.uk

treadhead

Why not rotate your nagasaurus into a cardboard box?

Peter

Reply to
Bushy

I hadn't thought of that one :-) If I never post again you'll know it didn't work...

Treadhead

Reply to
treadhead

Howdy Mangry, Have you tried a little compressed air in those cans that you can buy at the computer store? They come with a handy tube that helps control and concentrate the air to just where you want it. As long as you don't have any loose material on your diorama, just blast away and the dust disappears. Happy Dusting Darrick

Reply to
DSC

I use a clean paintbrush. One that's never been used for painting. It allows me to get into all the hard-to-get places. Usually done over the sink or a bowl of water so some of the dust doesn't escape back into the air.

But yeah, it's a pain in the ass so my models get dusted once in every OTHER blue moon.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Alvarez

A good coat of Floquil Dust (in their railroad line) goes a long way to preventing this problem -- or at least nobody can tell the difference! (Another good reason to build armor!!!)

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

I've discovered that those cloths that are made for the Swiffer cleaner really grab the dust. I use em on the larger areas such as wings and then hit the tight spots with a soft paintbrush. Makes it a little less of a chore! :) Bill

Reply to
Darkside24us